Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Right Handed Or Left Handed? Confused In Maryland

I'm trying to decide which I should buy a right-sided holster or a lefty. I shoot target pistol with my left hand and left eye. I shoot rifle with my right hand and right eye. I write with my left hand. When I reach for a camera, I raise it to my right eye. I think I'd be more comfortable drawing a gun from a right sided holster with my right hand, and sighting with my right eye WHEN USING TWO HANDS. It just seems more natural. Are ther any self-tests you can suggest?

Yes, I'm confused.

Thanks,

John C.

I'm trying to decide which I should buy a right-sided holster or a lefty. I shoot target pistol with my left hand and left eye. I shoot rifle with my right hand and right eye. I write with my left hand. When I reach for a camera, I raise it to my right eye. I think I'd be more comfortable drawing a gun from a right sided holster with my right hand, and sighting with my right eye WHEN USING TWO HANDS. It just seems more natural. Are ther any self-tests you can suggest?

Yes, I'm confused.

Thanks,

John C.

There is an eye domminance test. Form a triangle with your index fingers touching and thumbs overlaying each other. Extend your arms fully in front of you and look at a distant object through the triangle. Slowly bring your hands toward your face while looking at the object. The eye that ends up looking through the triangle is your domminant eye.

I started shooting by shooting long guns. I am left eye domminant so I started off lefty even though I think I am righthanded. When I picked up a pistol many years later it felt naturall to do it with my left hand. So that is how I ended up shooting. I can't say that have any regrets.

It sounds like either will work for you.

You have the chance to choose your side, everybody really does, but you'r just comfortable with going either way.

Reality is that most stuff is set up for the right-handed. And you wouldn't be the first who consciously picked the right. Rob Leatham is naturally left handed, but he shoots the right as his strong hand. And he is a very tough competitor when he has to shoot weak hand(the left).

I am a lefty, but like most lefties I do things with the "convenient" hand. My father encouraged me to shoot right handed as a kid, because he didn't want me to get hit with brass and unburnt powder coming out of the 1100 he had. That was good advice and it is still is, but in this game you will be better off shooting with both eyes open. If you are left eyed, then you probably close your left eye when you shoot your rifle. I would go with my dominant eye.

I'm trying to decide which I should buy a right-sided holster or a lefty. I shoot target pistol with my left hand and left eye. I shoot rifle with my right hand and right eye. I write with my left hand. When I reach for a camera, I raise it to my right eye. I think I'd be more comfortable drawing a gun from a right sided holster with my right hand, and sighting with my right eye WHEN USING TWO HANDS. It just seems more natural. Are ther any self-tests you can suggest? Yes, I'm confused.

If you shoot pistols with your left hand, you should draw and shoot action pistol with that hand too. Trigger control is almost certainly the single most important element of good shooting, whether it's bullseye or action. Go with the hand that you've practices with the most.

In a sense, your confusion is very fortunate. When you have to shoot weak hand, you're going to find being able to shoot well with either hand to be a tremendous advantage.

Lee

May I suggest you do some table starts with the gun. Lay the gun on a table (unloaded) and try picking it up and acquiring the sights with the right and left hands picking up the gun and see which is faster and/or more consistent.

If you have access to a range and a timer then set up a target about 10-15 yards and perform the same test and track the times (only count 'A' zone hits) and from there you should be able to figure out the best hand to be your strong hand.

• 2 months later...

Good Day John C from Maryland, and et al.,

I'm left handed by birth, right handed by force. This might not be the right answer for you but I shoot both. I've got holsters for both sides. Typically end up choosing just before the match when gathering up my gear. Fortunately the new kydex holsters are not that expensive and are easy to get in either configuration.

The other holster that works good and is totally convertible is the Hogue PowerSpeed.

If you're using a square on to the target, isosceles hold, you'll find that for either eye you only have to adjust less than an inch when holding the pistol up to the target.

I do sometimes forget which side the mags are located on < autumnal-ism > . I do find that mag changes for the left side are slightly faster and easier as I can hit the release with the trigger finger rather than have to jostle the pistol over to punch at the release with my thumb when shooting right handed.

All the best to ya in your search. Good Shooting!

There is an eye domminance test. Form a triangle with your index fingers touching and thumbs overlaying each other. Extend your arms fully in front of you and look at a distant object through the triangle. Slowly bring your hands toward your face while looking at the object. The eye that ends up looking through the triangle is your domminant eye.

That procedure has never worked for me. As a firearms instructor I found it doesn't work for most people. What'll happen is people will bring their "triangle" back toward their face, then as they approach their face they just get confused and don't know what to do. I always found it works much better to simply pick a point at distance and, with both eyes open, point at it with your index finger. Then close one eye, it doesn't matter which one. Open that eye, close the other. You'll notice that with one of your eyes it looks like your finger moves, with the other it doesn't. The eye that's open when your finger doesn't move is your master eye.