Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Big Kb!

Well, it finally happened. Was loading some 38 Super on the 650 last night and had a big kaboom. Was seating a primer and it touched everything off. Probably about 50-60 primers left in magazine tube all decided to let loose.

Loud bang and the follower rod is smashing up into the ceiling. Smoke everywhere and heartbeat a little quicker. And yes, I was wearing safety glasses etc.

Got everything taken apart and things were a mess in there. Magazine tubed is fused to inside of primer assembly tube and all kinds of other damage.

Called Dillon and explained what happened. The guy was EXTREMELY helpful in making sure I got every part that needed to be replaced. He knew exactly what had to be replaced and was very sympathetic to my situation. Stuff is shipping today and I will have things back together early next week.

That is why I will always deal with Dillon. The no BS warranty is great in a situation like this and their customer service people are the best. Thanks Dillon!

A loyal customer.

PS to all reloaders............ please make sure you wear your safety classes when you load!

Edited by nhglyn

Lucky

You Dodged the bullet

I'm curious:

As one who is having problems with my 650 Primer mechanism

( I am getting repeated "Hard" Jams and upon disassembling the primer mechanism- am finding primers which look like an attempt was made to "Shear" the primer laterally)

In retrospect..............................

Where there any indications there there might have been a problem before the Kaboom ??

1) Jams?

2) Badly seated primers in finished cartridges

( upsidedown / sideways / seated crooked )

3) failures to deliver a primer to the seater station

4) "Stiff" lever cycling

5) Uneven "feel" between succesive seatings of primers

How Old is your 650 ?

How long have you been using it?

What caliber did this occur on?

How many had you succesfull loaded in that session before the incident

( I'm guessing none afterward)

OH YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What Brand of primers were you using ??????

P.S.

See my starting post on

(650 Primer System JAMMING)

Lucky

You Dodged the bullet

I'm curious:

As one who is having problems with my 650 Primer mechanism

( I am getting repeated "Hard" Jams and upon disassembling the primer mechanism- am finding primers which look like an attempt was made to "Shear" the primer laterally)

In retrospect..............................

Where there any indications there there might have been a problem before the Kaboom ??

1) Jams?

2) Badly seated primers in finished cartridges

( upsidedown / sideways / seated crooked )

3) failures to deliver a primer to the seater station

4) "Stiff" lever cycling

5) Uneven "feel" between succesive seatings of primers

How Old is your 650 ?

How long have you been using it?

What caliber did this occur on?

How many had you succesfull loaded in that session before the incident

( I'm guessing none afterward)

OH YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What Brand of primers were you using ??????

P.S.

See my starting post on

(650 Primer System JAMMING)

650 about 4-5 months old

loading 38 Super

loaded probably 10,000+ with not a hiccup, kept cleaned and lubed

WSR primers

no indication of possible KB, smooth until it hit

Had gotten some primers that were coming in sideways a week or so ago, but Dillon had me recalibrate shellplate and everything was good again

great machine, just a big surprise

Can't say enough good things about how Dillon rep handled everything

Edited by nhglyn

I've had two detonations on my 650. The first time I had 75 primers go up. I accidentally let go of the handle and it went past neutral and hit the primer then chain reacted up into the tube. I had the same problems (fused primer tube, etc.) you described.

The second time I only had 10 primers detonate. The spring on the shell plate indexer arm was going bad and as a result the shell plate got out-of-sync. A primer got caught between stages and the primer got sheared and detontated. The REAL problem was that I didn't stop pulling the handle when I felt resistance.

Attached below is a picture of the sheared primer.

Darren

post-6381-1170686864.jpg

Edited by ExtremeShot

• 3 weeks later...

I had a kaboom with about 100 primers in the tube. Severe nuclear meltdown. Dillon replaced everything ASAP.

The primer plate was not dropping unused primers, it tried to feed a primer under a new one, the entire stack went off.

I have sinced polished the new primer plate to allow them to drop, and if something goes fubar when i reload, i check that tray for any primers and promptly remove them.