Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• 4 weeks later...

You're kidding right ?

Some runners, some turners, some bobbers, and a plane, a bus, an helicopter, a bar, trenches...

Lots of fun soon !

I hope none of the people from SA saw the Bear rings bobbers from 2001 EC,If so, we'll have some ....

I hope to see you there this time.

DVC

Julien

turners and movers, sure, but not nearly as many *swingers* as the EC (where nearly every stage had partial swingers going at breathtaking speeds!)...

You think the helicopter will indeed be *flying* while we shoot from it???

--D.

Vince

Did you check the Worldcup Stages available on the internet?

Please take a look at them, the two stages:

On Stage seven, it seems to me that there is a strong backward movement. Unless I am wrong, the backward movement wouldn´t be recommended for safety reasons.

On stage thirty, where (if I am not wrong), there is no way, mathematically, not to brake the angle, since the shooter will walk in circle, over 270 degrees.

Thank you very much! I won´t go to the Worldcup, although I have Slot. The reason why I am asking...  it is just for my understanding.

Hi Luiz,

Yes, Stage 7 requires the competitor to engage targets while moving backwards, however I do not agree this is particularly dangerous. In fact, I designed a similar stage which was used in the European Championships in 1998 in Crete, without incident, by some 500 competitors of varying skill levels.

Of course if you consider IPSC's practical roots, "back-up" stages are the most realistic, because it is unlikely you would run into an alley filled with multiple armed "bad guys"!

At first view Stage 30 looks highly "unusual", however I understand the shooting bay to be used has berms and bullet traps to safely contain all shots.

In any case, our most senior IROA personnel will, as usual, carefully inspect all stages before the first shot is fired, and any potentially unsafe angles will be eliminated.

Having said that, I have every confidence that the Match Director and Range Master (also senior and highly respected IROA personnel), would not submit such an unusual stage for approval unless they were 100% certain that our excellent safety record would not be tarnished.

Julien,

If you find me at the range in South Africa, I will show you all the secrets, but you must firstly undergo the (also secret) initiation ceremony.

I'll get the goat, the handcuffs and the 5 litres of baby oil ready :)

• 1 month later...

after a 34 h return trip here a quick report (to be augmented w/ some pix later) from the scene.

A phenomenal match, very (!) well organized, with spectacular stages. Not too tricky, pretty straightforward but with some emphasis on *hard shots*, things distracting from the shooting, and field courses with lotsa distance to cover. In the US, this match would have been highly criticized because

i) shots are too hard and not every D shooter would have fun

ii) too much emphasis on physical fitness (not obese-neutral)

but hey, this was the world shoot!

You heard (and read) it already, Robbie won Standard. In Open, Eric Grauffel won with an even larger margin (he could have not shot the last stage and still would have won), also as expected. In a sense, these two divisions were *boring* because the top-set competitors won. Miculek won revolver div., now he *really* had no competition! Sevigny won production, probably the coolest win of the match.

Lotsa targets placed at or near the 180 angle, total of (I think) almost 40 DQs at total of about 800 competitors. A *huge* match by all standards! In IPSC, and at a WS, benefit of the doubt does *not* go to the competitor! I saw a revolver shooter being DQd for moving 3 steps with his finger in the trigger guard, his gun pointed at a target! 3 US shooters total were DQ'd...

I personally had one of the worst matches of my life, lotsa misses (11 or so) and many stages where I felt I could not move my legs and shoot at the same time. I still don't know what hit me,  stopped counting my mistakes on day 2, depression set in and fear of failure, and it went downhill from there.... Other BE forum dwellers of course did much better than me: Travis made 8th in Open (his first WS, so cool, man!), Even made 17th in Standard, Julien somewhere in the 20s, Phil 50+th, me just 113th (out of about 300 in Standard).

More later, with pictures,

Detlef

Detlef, don't feel too bad. There are still more WS's coming. You being there shooting with THE Dogs I'll shake your hand and get your autograph if I could.  For now, I extend my congratulations.

Also, aside from the pics, maybe you can squeeze in some videos, too. :)

Welcome back Detlef!  Thanks for the report.

"A shooter was DQ'd for taking 3 steps"?!!  WOW!! tough RO.  

As for your shooting, it sounds like you were "thinking" while you were shooting? I thought we covered that :)

Looking foward to the pix bud.

Tom

World Shoot Executive Summary:

Open Overall: Eric Grauffel (France)

Open Lady: Kaye Cabalatungan (Philippines)

Open Junior: Chris Tilley (USA)

Open Senior: Alain Tarrade (France)

Open Team: USA

Open Ladies Team: Philippines

Standard Overall: Rob Leatham (USA)

Standard Lady: Sharon Zaffiro (USA)

Standard Junior: Paul Clark Jnr (USA)

Standard Senior: Colin Amm (RSA)

Standard Team: USA

Modified Overall: Austen Stockbridge (RSA)

Modified Senior: Roger Stockbridge (RSA)

Modified Team: Philippines

Production Overall: David Sevigny (USA)

Production Lady: Debbie Keehart-Ross (USA)

Production Junior: Eric France (France)

Production Team: Italy

Revolver Overall: Jerry Miculek (USA)

Revolver Team: Brazil

Total competitors: 780 with 38 DQ

Open: 338 competitors (43%) with 19 DQ

Standard: 306 competitors (39%) with 14 DQ

Modified: 55 competitors (7%) with 1 DQ

Production: 56 competitors (7%) with 2 DQ

Revolver: 25 competitors (3%) with 2 DQ

PS: Detlef - sorry I didn't find you, despite my best efforts.

Between sitting on five (5) arbitrations, preparing for the General Assembly and countless meetings and discussions, I didn't have a lot of time.

In fact, I only met Julien Boit very briefly at the awarding ceremony after I asked Alain Joly to introduce me and even then I had to rush back to my table.

On the other hand, I managed to stumble across my old mate and forum member Phil Dunlop on many occasions during the match. Go figure!

(Edited by Vince Pinto at 2:32 pm on Sep. 24, 2002)