Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Independence Day Action Rifle Match

Since we can't launch fireworks ourselves in AZ, what better way to celebrate Independence Day than with a rifle match?

I have reserved the range for July 4th to run another action rifle match this year. All procedes from the match will again go to benefit the Arizona Citizens Defense League (http://www.azcdl.org)

This will be a one day match with a minimum of 4, and hopefully 5 stages. 50% of the stages will be long range oriented (100-300 yards). I am hoping to have some prizes available provided by AZ firearms companies, that will be awarded by random drawing.

We will have more time available than last year, but I will still probably cap entries at ~70 shooters to make sure we can finish in a reasonable amount of time. I will post more details as they become available.

Here's what AZCDL had to say about last year's match:

Independence Day Action Rifle Match

This benefit match for AzCDL was hosted by Rio Salado Sportsman’s Club in Mesa, AZ and brought about by the efforts of Russell Phagan and the fine folks at Cavalry Arms. Thanks

to the hard work and dedication of these fine folks, as well as the determination and competitive spirit of the many fine people who turned out to participate in the match, we raised nearly $1100 to help us continue the fight for your freedom. Thanks to all who came out, braved the heat, and celebrated our country’s birthday in the fashion that our Founders intended! You can find pictures taken at the match on our Rifle Match page.

http://www.azcdl.org/html/events.html

Pics from Last year:

http://www.cavalryarms.com/ID4/pics/independenceday-1.html

I am in. This was a fun match last year. Had I enough ammo for my Enfield, I would have enetered the bolt-gun division. :)

I will also be donating some tactical nylon for the prize drawing.

TimW

Phoenix

Practical Tactical, LLC

This year rather than manual division, we will do "Classic"

Classic Division will allow for any firearm or copy of a design made in 1945 or before. All feeding devices and sighting devices must be of the correct time period too. Classic Division shooters may bayonet the targets (please don't tear them in half) if the course design lends itself to doing so.

You get man points if you dress up in period correct clothing/gear.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

things we have on the prize table for sure so far are

Vest from Coyote Tactical

Pouches from Coyote Tactical

Pouches from 3 Gun Gear

Pack from Eagle Industries

Rifle case from Eagle Industries

MESA vest from Practical Tactical

Slings from Practical Tactical

HK Style AR Sights from Hayes Research

Training Certificate from LMS Defense

Two Stock Kits from VLTOR

Shooter's World Membership

...and more!

there's a good lot of stuff to go around for the number of shooters we have.

AZCDL is going to be providing lunch on the range. It will consist of BBQ pork, beef, baked beans, cole slaw, and a beverage.

If you are planning on coming and have not yet registed, e-mail me. Those who registered ahead of time will get priority on lunch if more people than expected show up.

Match was fun, food was good, prizes were excelent for a small match. Russel you forgot to thank yourself and your set up crew (if you did I missed it) You guys did a great job on setting up and Ro'ing. Will be there next 4th.

:cheers: Jason

17 seconds!!! Wow, Larry. That was smokin!! You must be able to apply battle dressings like the wind. I felt like I took about 30 seconds trying to put that thing on!! (for those who weren't there one stage required the shooter to REALLY apply a battle dressing to a "wounded" dummy).

Good match (if a bit warm out). I liked the multicolor target stage (targets are painted colors red, blue and yellow and shooter overturns a cup revealing a colored ball. The color of that ball becomes the no shoot targets: i.e red ball, all red targets are no shoots.) I also liked the support shoulder requirement - which you could tell that few had practiced.

But the coolest thing was the Classic class. I have not seen that many M1 Garands since I was a kid at a DCM match!

You could also tell who had spent trigger time at longer distances, too. Everyone likes CQB stuff because it's fast, loud and sexy. I had a girlfriend like that once, and let me tell you, it ain't all it's cracked up to be. :)

My school of thought, and I could be way off-base on this, is that it's easier to bring your mid-range/long-distance skills in for CQB work than it is to try and hit targets at distance if all you've done is CQB and less-than-50m stuff.

Stage 1: Who don’t we shoot? (to be shot on practical bay 2)

Targets:. 24 USPSA Paper (8 Blue, 8 Red, 8 Yellow; two each harcover headshots only, 2 each upper torsos only with hardcover)

Start Position: Rifle loaded on table, color balls under cups, shooter hands at sides.

Course Description: At start signal, shooter will pick up a cup to see colored ball, and engage the targets of the other colors as they become visible.

Notes: RO will shuffle cups before shooter begins. Any targets shot that are the same color as the ball count as no shoot penalties.

Stage 2: Two Trauma Kits; one to cause it, one to treat it. (to be shot on practical bay 3)

Targets: 20 USPSA Paper (4 No Shoots, 8 A Zone Hard cover (body armor targets), 1 Shoot head, no shoot body (suicide bomber), the rest standard no modifications.

Start Position: Seated in car, rifle and all ammo in trunk, trauma kit in trunk. Rifle will be cold chamber magazine inserted, safety may be off.

Course Description: At start signal, shooter will retrieve rifle from trunk and engage T1-T8. Shooter will then retrieve trauma kit from the trunk and advance to the dummy. Shooter will apply Israeli bandage to the portion of the dummy marked to represent a wound. While bandaging the shooter may either set their rifle down on the ground or keep it slung so long as the 180 is not broken. Shooter will finish the course of fire after bandaging the dummy.

Hitting the No-Shoot area on the Suicide Bomber target is a 60 second penalty.

Stage 3: You Can’t Always Be Right (or Left) (to be shot on highpower where the wall is.)

Targets: 4 Steel

Start Position: Rifle loaded on target, safety on.

Course Description: At start signal shooter will engage T1-T4 seated in the chopper. Shooter will then engage T1-T4 standing outside the chopper through the chopper window. Shooter will then go prone under the chopper tail, and engage T1-T4. Shooter will then engage T1-T4 firing the rifle with their weak hand, strong hand may be used to support the rifle.

Notes: RO test shooter’s ammo with magnet prior to course of fire.

Shooter’s with a medical condition that prevents them from shooting on their weak side, may shoot strong side, with +10 procedural assessed for each weak side target engaged with their strong side.

Stage 4: Enemy Boss Bonus

Targets: 3 Steel, 1 Precision Rifle Target, 6 Paper.

Start Position: Rifle loaded, safety on, port arms.

Course Description: At start signal, shooter will engage T1-T3 twice each in 1,2,3, 1, 2, 3 sequences. Shooter will then advance through the ship and engage the 6 paper targets as they become visible. Shooter will then advance up the ramp and engage the precision rifle target with 4 rounds. The shooter will receive a 10 second bonus for opening and closing the center flag and the head flag. The bonus is only available once for opening the chest, closing the chest, opening the head and closing the head. A minimum of 4 rounds must hit the steel anywhere to score.

Notes: To speed up reset, someone may shoot the doors on the precision rifle target closed

17 seconds!!! Wow, Larry. That was smokin!! You must be able to apply battle dressings like the wind. I felt like I took about 30 seconds trying to put that thing on!! (for those who weren't there one stage required the shooter to REALLY apply a battle dressing to a "wounded" dummy).

I will be teaching classes in causing stat shack dyslexia for all those who may be interested. :rolleyes:

Darnit. They fixed it and I dropped two spots. Ah well. I should have practiced that weak side rifle shooting stuff a little more. Any practice is more than zero right?

-ld