Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullpups?

stubbicatt

Anybody ever futzed with a bullpup design rifle for this sport?

That FS2000 looks like it would have some certain plusses. The trigger is sort of rough, but the rest is kindof cool.

Anybody ever run one of these? What were your impressions?

I wouldn't think a bullpup would be competitive. For one, the mag release is not as easily accessible as an AR. Ergonomically it wouldn't be as stable since your support arm is held really close to your body as oppose to holding way out in front like what 3-gunners do. You also can't use the mag as a monopod.

I used a Steyr AUG at the soldier of fortune 3 gun match back in the early ninties and it was very competive at that time, primarily because of the optic. When SOF opened up the match to battle proven optics on any of the rifles, the AUG and the AR's were at parity for about 2 years and then everybody started making accurized versions of the AR and the AUG was left behind.

I still think the AUG or another bullpup could be competitive against a standard AR for anything out to about 200 yards. The chief detriment is the trigger. I never had any problems with mag changes, but it is slightly slower due to having to forcibly remove the magazine as opposed to simply hitting the mag release button and letting the mag drop free.

That being said, I still have the AUG and an FS2000, but use the ar platform in both 223 and 308 for 3 gun matches. The bullpups are just not as intrinsically accurate as an accurized AR. I get about 2MOA at best with both.

Just my 2 cents.....

I would love to get a good bullpup but there are some real problems with them.

First there is no support for them (barrels, triggers, free-floating ect).

Second most of them can’t be shot left handed.

Finally I have haven’t seen one I really like (but I think it is a good idea that should be pushed forward).

We have an FS2000 it shoots nice, but changing a mag sucks.

It's the only one that can be shot left handed without swapping parts around.

There's a little rubber gasket in the magwell. It's there to keep water out during maritime operations. If you're not planning on taking the gun diving the guys at FN said that you can remove it and the mags will drop free.

There's a little rubber gasket in the magwell. It's there to keep water out during maritime operations. If you're not planning on taking the gun diving the guys at FN said that you can remove it and the mags will drop free.

Yeah we figured that out...but the mag loading process is inherently slow as it is with any bullpup rifle. It would take a lot of training to get proficient at it...and if a bullpup isn't your primary platform, I wouldn't see a reason to.