Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do You Sell Your Gear?

I guess it depends on how persnickety and anal your buyer is... Some guys know what they want down to the exact color combos they will accept.

If you have nice stuff I think you will always realize more $$$ if you sell separately.

My .02. :)

Okay, now it's a tie.

My stuff is nice(used, not abused).

I know that no one gets back 100%, but how do you figure what a good starting point for a sale price on a firearm is? Build list, forget the labor that was paid for, and then subtract 15-20%. Have 4-140mm and 4-170mm mags.....should all of the magazines go with the firearm if the sale is split?

Scott (a tie, now what?) B

Hey Scott,

I can't help you on setting a price, but I will share how I browse the classifieds. I have never looked for a complete gear set-up. I am usually looking for pieces such as magazines or belts, or for guns. I am fairly picky on things, and I haven't found many that have exactly the same taste as me in everything to warrant buying a complete set-up.

I just made an offer on a group of magazines in the classifieds that were posted with a gun and some other gear, but everything was listed with separate prices.

Good luck, and hope that helps.

Whenever I sell a gun I only sellit with 1 140 mag unless it is a special setup. I then sell the mags seperately unless I am keeping them for the replacement gun. As a rule I have found that most of the deal sweeteners dont get you any more dollars, and if the buyer is serious the mags and belts and holsters and all the other things only work about 5%of the time. If it is a person you know who is getting into limited or open from either 1 of the other divisions then they may give you a fairer price for the entire package.

Okay, now it's a tie.

My stuff is nice(used, not abused).

I know that no one gets back 100%, but how do you figure what a good starting point for a sale price on a firearm is? Build list, forget the labor that was paid for, and then subtract 15-20%. Have 4-140mm and 4-170mm mags.....should all of the magazines go with the firearm if the sale is split?

Scott (a tie, now what?) B

No one likes to buy used guns. You probably used up all the A shots it had in it. :D

Seriously though, I think it depends on the buyer and what they are looking for. If they are new and looking to get everything then all the gear would sweeten the deal. If they already have some gear and are looking for just a new gun they would negotiate to buy the gun without the gear. I'd offer it with the gear. Best case is you sell it with all the gear , the worst case is you sell the gun by itself and then sell the gear separately.

All three of my compertition guns were bought used. What is important depends on your situation. If you are starting out and need everything a package is more attractive. If you already have gear and mags they likely are not important.

The first one I bought was an sweet SV Open gun with four 140 mm & one Big Stick, dies, couple of thousand pieces of brass, a little powder, some bullets, primers and 350 pieces of already loaded ammo. It was great I could shoot it on the way home. I did not have any mags, dies etc for 38S, this made it really attractive to me. Since I did not have a holster, belt or mag pouches it would have been nice if those were included. The seller was 400 miles away but we wound up doing a face to face

Bought an Sti Eagle used, it came with one mag, but the price was really good or I would have waited for one with more mags. More mags would have been better.

Then bought an EDGE and since I already had limited mags they were not a factor.

My suggestion would be to sell the gun with two or three 140 and one 170 mag. That way the price will be more attractive than with all 8 mags, You could also price it with and without mags.

Then you can sell the other mags after the gun is sold.

edited to correct spelling

Edited by CenTX

What gun are you selling? Open? I wouldn't sell the rig since it can always be used for limited, L10 or some pieces for production or PSSD.

If the buyer asks for it, then I would consider it.

Good luck!

I have always had the best luck listing the main component of the sale, in this case the gun. Then listing any mags, and accessories that I may be selling in the same topic with the caveat that the buyer of the gun gets first right of refusal for the accessories.

That way I hit all my potential buyers.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...