Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XS Sight Systems -- what do you think?

illtmprdman

Dear Shooters,

I am thinking about replacing the stock adjustable sights on my P14 Stainless Limited with a "24/7 Big Dot Express Set" from XS Sight Systems.  Has anyone ever used these sights?  What do you think of them?  XS seems to be one of the only companies that makes sights for the Limited series Para's.  I've included links to some pictures:

http://www.ashleyoutdoors.com/images/handgun_sights5.jpg

and

http://www.ashleyoutdoors.com/images/5.gif

I shot a set once, while I have heard people rave about how fast they are I won't put a set on my gun.  I found very quickly the standard notch and post give much better feed back for accurate shooting.  The added speed that might come....I don't think I interested in giving up accuracy.  When Brian, or TGO or some of the other top shooters put them on their game guns, I'll rethink this.  If someone already has let me know, I always need something to think about.

They take some getting used to... a lot of getting used to. Forget accurate shooting in the dark, too (you have to float the front dot over the rear bar).

For a combat/self-defense gun I'd say they're spiffy, but for ANY type of game gun, I'd stay away.

I use express sights in place of my shotgun rifle sights. Works fine on plates, poppers, clays, acceptable on slug shots. The main problem is elevation is inconsistent on those 40-50 yard slug shots. Sometimes I hit high, sometimes low.

There's no way I'll use express sights on a pistol.

i guess all you guys must have great eyesight. I don't. i put a set of XS (formerly AO) big dot sights on my Kimber 45 2 years ago and haven't looked back. as far as accuracy goes, i can hold under 2" at 25 yards with them, and routinely shoot falling plates at 35 yards.

they don't take any getting used to -- as far as i'm concerned, but that's why they make vanilla ice cream as well as chocolate.

for all of you who bad mouth the accuracy of the XS systems, have you really shot with them? How accurate do you need to be to hit the 'A' Zone at 12 yards for IDPA? Now if we're talking bulleseye competition, that's certainly different. then i would reccomend switching to the 'small' dot front sight.

i'll be happy to match groups at any yardage with anyone who bad mouths this system -- for however much money you care to put on the table.

no, i am not a pro, not even a semi-pro. i'm disabled. but i have enough confidence in my ability to use my gun with my chosen sights to back it up. any takers? email me at:gary.m.gruber@verizon.net

(Edited by ggruber at 11:50 pm on Feb. 4, 2003)

(Edited by ggruber at 11:51 pm on Feb. 4, 2003)

You tell 'em, Gary.  I'll bet I'm closer to Mr. Magoo than to Brian, TGO, or some other top shooter, in terms of eye sight (and, unfortunately, probably shooting skill as well).  But I shoot the clothes pins holding my targets at 25 yards with a Glock 19 or a Glock 17, both with Ashley small dot sights, and probably average about 2 shots/hit (if it's not happening that day, I stop shooting so I don't screw up my average).  Is that enough accuracy for you?

I think they are outstanding in low light situations - all you have to do is create the silhouette of that sight alignment, which is WAY easier to see in the dark than (a tight) notch and post arrangement.  I ocassionally pass on using a flashlight because of this.

I've often heard the "none of the top shooters use them" argument, and I don't think that they would shoot better if they did.  I just think they are worth a try for anyone with an open mind and a little bit of patience.  If they don't work for you, fine, but I wouldn't pass on the experiment just because "none of the top shooters use them".

I have a set of the 24/7 small dot sights on my nightstand G20. I like 'em ok. I won them off of a prize table and mulled over putting them on the gun for 8 months, but I'm glad I did now. I think they are every bit as accurate as the factory Glock sights and great at night.