Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opening The Grip To Create A Magwell.

jpsac2003

On Dave S. glock 35 he uses for limited has the grip opened to create a magwell. I saw that Southpaw custom no longer are in business. Is there other gunsmith out there that does that? I don't like the feel of a magwell in my grip.

• 3 weeks later...

I have THE brass magwell on my 35...I love it! The only thing I dont like about it is it is brass colored:) I might paint it black. It adds some weight and combined with a Tungeston guide rod it gives it a really nice feel and balance.

He also used a plastic grip plug modified to act as a grip plug. I made one for my 34, now it sits in my 23. Works great, really does help. It's not as wide of course but front to rear you have a lot more room to throw the mag in.

Fill plastic grip plug with acra glass with a drop of black die (mixed). Let set. Pull out dremel tool and go nuts. I filled with acra glass so that the grip plug was no longer hollow and allowed more aggressive shaping.

If you were local I'd do it for you, for a nominal fee (beer).

Caution on modifying the actual grip. It's thin, you don't want it too much thinner because of it getting beat up from botched reloads. My "duty gun" is totally trashed near the mag well from lots of practice. If you make it too thin you increase the damage factor.

If your looking to flare the bottom of the grip to be more like a mag well, you're on your own. I haven't gone that far yet.

I reread my post, I should specify that I bought a grip plug. Just a standard plastic grip plug. That is what I filled and then shaped. I took it out for Production class, but it is legal for GSSF and perhaps IDPA.

Since the grip plug was $5, it really wasn't much of a risk.

On Dave S. glock 35 he uses for limited has the grip opened to create a magwell. I saw that Southpaw custom no longer are in business. Is there other gunsmith out there that does that? I don't like the feel of a magwell in my grip.

A guy in our shooting club made his using the folowing....

he took a 10 round mag and glued a 1-1 1/2" tounge depresser on all

four sides. then he took a hair dryer and applied heat till he was able to seat the mag.

He let it cool and then did it again. This time he took the front & back sticks off and added them to the right & left side.

Edited by TruStreet