Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coating Better Than Chrome Without The Bling?

steel1212

I'm looking to coat my .40 xd service in something thats as good as chrome but with out the bling. I heard of somebody mentioning something that had a rock well hardness harder than hard chrome but was black? My old service has the old coating and its comeing off in a hurry and for carry and home use I don't want a shiny chrome piece coming around cover :blink:

Melonite or some PVD/DLC coating is the only thing you will find anywhere near as durable as hard chrome.

PVD is Plasma Vapor Deposition, like TiAlN for instance. DLC is a vary widely used term, and means Diamond Like Coating, that means it is a good bit harder than woodpecker lips and is a plasma vapor deposition type of coating. If Derek found someone that can do DLC with no/very minor dimensional changes to the parts and an even color then by all means go for it. DLC is silly hard.

Steel there are several places that offer an actual black Chrome. I am thinking about having my XD9 done in Black Chrome instead of the Chrome I have on my .40 of course I have always like things that match so mabye I will just do the same thing.

I don't know DLC from DLP or UPC....but...

it is a PVD coating (I understand PVD is the process by which it is applied), I also understand it is thinner and harder than hard chrome.

I have it on my limited gun with about 30K rounds, there are some wear marks inside the slide where the barrel locks up but nothing on the exterior, and I use a blade tec. I have it on my open gun as well with no wear but not nearly the round count. It comes out a flat black.

I think Bill S. might be able to chime in here also.

Ok I'll chime in and I had a Open gun in TiN or Titanium Nitrate. Its BLING to the max a deep gold and I love the look and really miss the gun coating BUT it started flaking after 30K on the breachface and jamming the gun. It has since been stripped and is on the way to Tripp for hard chrome, tommorrow in fact.

The other processes DLC/PVD are related and I was getting TiAL Titanium Aluminate on my Limited gun til the fiasco. TiAL is a dark grey gunmetal color and has a hardness like hard chrome.

Seriously I have my reservations about anything but Hard Chrome but I think on a Limited gun with its lower pressures and stress, anything goes. I feel that an Open gun has much more stress. I was going to offer these coatings at a great price but my personal research doesn't allow me to do it.

Edited by BSeevers

That black "DLC" coating that Derek does is the shite!!!

Ask Smitty.

+1 on the Millenium Custom DLC coat. Very durable coating. No wear marks after a couple of thousand dry-fire draws out of a Kydex holster.