Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Choice For 45 Acp

elenius

TiteGroup - I have used it for everything. People say it's dirty.. it's relative.

I do prefer the slower 230s, but I've used it with 185s, and 230s.

W231 is fine, WST is fine.

I bought a bunch of WST - basically I'm hust using it up now..

When I started playing aroud with 200s, I only did those with WST.

I just started reloading, No. 343 mentioned using clays and I tried it. I'm loading 5 gr. of clays w/ 230 rn. This is a fine load. On the other hand, come on comp. shooters. The furthest shot on our range is about 25 yards you don't really need a super powerful anything. Plus I heard everyone is complaining about 180-190 power factor for heavy metal so it defeats what powder you use. I don't think it matters in OK. I've not ever had anyone question my p.f. on the range, but I'm not the #1 shot either.

I'm loading 5 gr. of clays w/ 230 rn. This is a fine load.

Yikes, that's a big dose of Clays! :o

Yikes..WOW! IMO that is a load that is way way to hot..... I would not even think of trying it. The Hodgdon book show a 230 at 4.0 making about 168 PF. Another full grain...not me.

Use up some of your Unique, especially if it's the new version. In my S&W M22, 6.3 grains under a 230 grain FMJ goes over 800 fps and - blasphemy though it may be - left no unburnt powder under the extractor star.

Even if you have the older version, the "dirty" part is cosmetic. You could probably go over a thousand rounds without cleaning.

Use up some of your Unique, especially if it's the new version. In my S&W M22, 6.3 grains under a 230 grain FMJ goes over 800 fps and - blasphemy though it may be - left no unburnt powder under the extractor star.

Even if you have the older version, the "dirty" part is cosmetic. You could probably go over a thousand rounds without cleaning.

I know! It is new and says "cleaner burning" on the container. I load 6.8 grains of it in 38 special for a very nice and clean major PF load. No residue whatsoever, and surprisingly soft. You just need enough pressure to burn it I guess.

I guess I'll just try all the powders, except maybe 2400 which is a very slow magnum powder. Loaded up a few hundred Titegroup loads.

I know! It is new and says "cleaner burning" on the container. I load 6.8 grains of it in 38 special for a very nice and clean major PF load. No residue whatsoever, and surprisingly soft. You just need enough pressure to burn it I guess.

I guess I'll just try all the powders, except maybe 2400 which is a very slow magnum powder. Loaded up a few hundred Titegroup loads.

I hope you're using a .357 Mag for that load. 6.8 grains is what I load in .357 Magnum brass - it's the listed max for 158 grain lead bullets in .357 Magnum. Edited by revchuck

I hope you're using a .357 Mag for that load. 6.8 grains is what I load in .357 Magnum brass - it's the listed max for 158 grain lead bullets in .357 Magnum.

Yes, I shoot it in a Ruger GP100. It's much weaker than most magnum loads, though.

It makes just over major PF, and with very little flash and bang. I saw the load in a thread on this forum and worked my way up to it. No pressure signs. Using mixed 38 spl brass, although I did throw out my old amerc brass. The shorter brass makes it easier to load, and 38 spl is more readily available.