Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To Buy Milling Table To Convert Drill To Milling

shooterbenedetto

I see Bridgeports of various manual configurations go by here for $1000-$1500 w/o DROs. Not having 3-phase power handy, I have to pass and keep with my tiny 110v CNC :(

The 3 phase converted was $150 for mine and the ther rest of the stuff to use it was another $50. Money well spent.

3ph/220v is doable where I live, but as yet, I'm doing fine without it. That may change if a screaming deal on a Bridgeport comes by, but I actually like my little CNC, and it's nice being able to use the garage for parking cars occasionally. If I need big iron, I know somebody that has some I can use.

3ph/220v is doable where I live, but as yet, I'm doing fine without it. That may change if a screaming deal on a Bridgeport comes by, but I actually like my little CNC, and it's nice being able to use the garage for parking cars occasionally. If I need big iron, I know somebody that has some I can use.

That's a good point. Where in the heck can any normal person FIT a bridgeport? Its not like most of us have basements or garages unless you are rich & own a huge place (if so, pay someone to do your machine work). And how many condos/apartments HAVE 220v?!?!

I've proven that you CAN do it all on a 1911/2011 w/ a mini-mill if you have the skills. I miss having access to the old bridgeport copy at Phil Strader's place, but there are very very few things one would NEED one of those for.

That's a good point. Where in the heck can any normal person FIT a bridgeport? Its not like most of us have basements or garages unless you are rich & own a huge place (if so, pay someone to do your machine work). And how many condos/apartments HAVE 220v?!?!

I've proven that you CAN do it all on a 1911/2011 w/ a mini-mill if you have the skills. I miss having access to the old bridgeport copy at Phil Strader's place, but there are very very few things one would NEED one of those for.

Well, a dryer outlet is 220v, but the essential point remains..

In my neighborhood garages are mostly not-used for car storage, but I still like to have the option when hail storms come by.

Well, a dryer outlet is 220v, but the essential point remains..

In my neighborhood garages are mostly not-used for car storage, but I still like to have the option when hail storms come by.

OK - to be honsest, I have not asked. I suppose they <might> let me install a Bridgeport in the laundry room - so long as I made it coin-operated and let the rest of the condo use it too! :lol:

The downside to that machine is that it does not use collets. Rather, the tooling must be help by a regular chuck - which has mane disadvantages such as lack of precision, ability to come loose, etc. The minimum you want is a machine that takes R-8 collets. Take a look at the comparison chart on www.littlemachineshop.com

D.

I used one of the Enco type mill drills for years. If you know its limitations you can do more than you think on one. I used to make my own comps and mill for Bomars and Novak sights on mine. Mill frames for ramped barrels and back when you could do it mill SKS actions for AK mags. I think they are very versatile machines. A mold shop I worked at used one to make aluminum try out molds so I know they are fairly accurate.

I run a Bridgeport all day for a living so when I need to work on a gun I just use works machine now.