Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Badly Tarnished Brass

GentlemanJim

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really can not stand the brown color, put a little jeweler's rouge and a tablespoon of automotive antifreeze in your media. The jeweler's rouge will cut the corrosion, and the anti-corrosion additives in the antifreeze will keep it from re-corroding before it hits the tumbler next time.

Billski

Thanks a lot guys!

Ill give it a try..

PS my comment about smart sayings...Iwas serious! I like it when people have snappy answers .its all in fun :D .

I really enjoy this forum and access to so many people with so much knoledge!!!

I also realy like the kidding and laughing.. :D:D

Life is short and I just want to smile alot.

Thanks again..Jim

Jim, if you make a trek to Walmart, look for the tall orange bottle of car polish for about 6 bucks....it does the same thing as the Dillon polish, and it is cheaper...

DougC

(I found this out when using a concrete mixer to polish 9 5 gal buckets of brass.... :ph34r: )

I have a bunch of very old 45acp brass ,it is in good condition but is very tarnished.

Is there any good way to clean it up?

Tumbling in walnut helps ,but I hate ugly reloads and want it to look good again.

Thanks Jim

I have good luck with walnut plus Dillon Rapid polish, much better than walnut alone.

Lee

I have a bunch of very old 45acp brass ,it is in good condition but is very tarnished.

Is there any good way to clean it up?

Tumbling in walnut helps ,but I hate ugly reloads and want it to look good again.

Thanks Jim

I have good luck with walnut plus Dillon Rapid polish, much better than walnut alone.

Lee

+ 1 to Lee's findings. :)

Go yo your corner store and buy a package of unsweetend kool-AId in the orange flavor..

Mix it up in a glass or plastic container and add your brass..Shake it every now and again..

When your brass is cleaned enough to satisfy your self pour off the coolaid..Do not drink it,save for another batch if you wish..Rinse brass in clean water and let air or mild heat dry..When dry you can tumble to your disired finish..

Edited by bompa

Go yo your corner store and buy a package of unsweetend kool-AId in the orange flavor..

Mix it up in a glass or plastic container and add your brass..Shake it every now and again..

When your brass is cleaned enough to satisfy your self pour off the coolaid..Do not drink it,save for another batch if you wish..Rinse brass in clean water and let air or mild heat dry..When dry you can tumble to your disired finish..

Does this REALLY work? I have a number of 5 gal buckets full of military rifle brass and .... Does this REALLY work..? That would be way to easy! :ph34r:

Gotta wonder what Kool-aid does to your insides if it cleans the tarnish off brass. :lol: Many years ago, I worked in a paint factory. I stopped drinking Kool-aid after noting that the Kool-aid label read like a paint label! We had to wear respirators when dumping titanium dioxide into the paint tanks. Apparently it's OK to drink the sh!t? :rolleyes:

We used to use the " Bug Juice " off of the mess deck to clean the brass and bronze fittings and drains on shipboard in the navy. ( translation for those non-nautical types: kool-aid from the cafeteria ) I seem to remember the red worked the best, but it has been a while.

Huston in Austin

Does this REALLY work? I have a number of 5 gal buckets full of military rifle brass and .... Does this REALLY work..? That would be way to easy! :ph34r:

Mix it up in a glass or plastic container and add your brass...

I've got some pretty bad brass that I've tumbled in corn cob media. They still came out with a bit of tarnish on them. My question about the above technique with the Kool Aid, do you add the sugar or just the Kool Aid and water? I can't imagine you'd want the sugar in there but wanted to make sure before I waste this .99 cent packet of kool aid.