Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pushing Your Self Or Be Consistent

i like to push myself in club shoot but out of 10 times i do,1 will work and

other times i feel that i'm shooting bad habits.( extra shots more time...)

an example,a simple stage and 5 evenly out 25m steel poppers. i usually will hose

and shoot one at each taget and hopes it hits it and come out with a blazing time.

or 10 out of 10 times, I can hit the poppers if i take enough time to hit and move to the next popper.

question is should i see what i need to see or should i practice fast shooting and hopefully one day it will cath up on me.? I feel that when I miss, i'm practicing bad shooting habit.

question is should i see what i need to see or should i practice fast shooting and hopefully one day it will cath up on me.? I feel that when I miss, i'm practicing bad shooting habit.

You've answered your own question. Always shoot what you can see, and with practice (dryfire and livefire) your skills will pick up, as well as your speed.

You need to balance speed and consistency. Don't hose and then look to see if you hit anything. On the other hand, don't wait to see what you hit before you move on to the next target. Practice more and call you shots. Get an acceptable sight picture, depress the trigger, and move on.

On steel arrays fire one shot at each plate in a metered, consistent rhythm. Don't wait for each plate to fall before you move to the next. If one or two are still standing, come back to them.

JM

You need to push once in a while at least, if you don't you won't know where your ability is. If you never push past your ability you will never know what that ability actually is. If I shot comfortable shots each time out I would have never made it out of C class, and I think that is an absolute fact.

You can push in practice, that is fine, but you won't know what you can do on match day unless you try it. Most if not all of us can do things in practice that are absolutely impossible on match day. Pick a match that doesn't matter and let it hang out. ANY match can not matter if you decide it doesn't matter.

To truly learn you need to move out of what you know and into what you do not know, the key is being able to see what you do know, see what you don't know, and be able to tell the difference. There is an incredible amount of information there if you are open to it. So what if 3 or 4 club matches are completely in the tank, if you learn from it I think it is well worth it to tank a couple matches.

I push, push, push each time a little harder until it falls apart. When the wheels come off I know I am well outside my ability. I look at what kept me from performing at that level and work on that, then start the cycle again. Each match gives me something or things that I did poorly, so it isn't like I am not learning until the wheels fall off. Work the weakness until it is a strength, when you are finished with that you will be a champion.

I find it important to push yourself from time to time so you can increase what your capable of and FIND your limitations. but if you care about the end result of the match.. be safe.... when you come down to clench time maybe push a little but only if you shoot last and HAVE to.

Edited because i put the wrong response in the wrong thread ... DOH

Edited by Steve Moneypenny