Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Fish

Catfish

Good stuff at the gym today - squats, OHP, decline bench and ab work. I threw some of the ab exercises from Gym Jones (as discussed elsewhere on the forum in the 300 thread...) and I cried like a little girl. Damn those are going to hurt tomorrow!!!

No gun work tonight - but I'll be getting my gear ready. My match weekend food (largely goo) has been purchased, ammo chrono'd (about 174pf) and I'm looking for my rain poncho. :)

Some light gun work tomorrow, and thru Thursday, but that's it! I never crammed for a test in my life, and I ain't gonna start now. If I'm not ready by now, it's too damn late!!

Lucky for me, I AM ready. ;)

I've been adding some quotes that I thought applied to what's going on in my shooting so far this year, and they've either come off the maku mozo list, or from my buddy Musashi.

Tonight I'll swerve off of that path into some Stevie Ray Vaughn:

Well, I'm standing next to a mountain,

chop it down with the edge of my hand

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Board meeting kept me waaaaaay later than I'd planned tonight at work, but I was able to get in some table draws, both loaded/unloaded and some reload work before bed time.

Good sesssion working on arms today and some ab work thrown in. Feeling good for this weekend!!

It is like me to have a great draw

I smoke my reloads

I move with authority

I focus on every stage, on every shot

It is like to to have fun when I shoot!! :D

Hit a good workout at the gym today; had to get creative with when I went, but I haven't missed a scheduled workout since Turkey Day '06 and I'm not going to start today!!

Deadlift heavy, shrugs heavy, rows light and pull ups.... No extra sets; peaking for this weekend. I will move Friday's workout to tomorrow because Friday I plan to be on the range working a recon of the match and watching the super squad on Friday shoot. I plan to bring a notebook and a camera (if it's not gushing rain). Hopefully I can get some video of the big boys and if so I'll post if possible from the hotel at the DTC. No promises, but I'll do what I can.

Draws and reloads tonight. Ultra slow. Perfecting technique and sharpening the blade I've been forging thus far this year. Worked on stationary and moving on both draws and reloads and everything was clicking just fine.

Found my poncho and it went into the shooting bag. I think I'll add some plastic trash bags to cover up my stuff so that the whole thing doesn't become one wet pile 'o mush this weekend in case it rains. Made about 200 rounds of match ammo; case gauged etc. Added to the 150 I made Monday night and I've got about 200 rounds to go tomorrow.

I'm ready for the DTC. Hell, I'd shoot it tonight if I could!! :)

I smoke my reloads

I move with authority

It is like to to have fun when I shoot!!

ok, been up all night working on guns (just cleaning the match gun) with my buddy Larry, who's driven down for the DTC.

Last session at the gym today before DTC - heavy bench and rows, and light OHP. No extra sets, totally tuning it down for this weekend. Usually by Thursday night I'm pretty damn wiped out, but tonight I feel pretty damn good.

Got in some tai chi draws tonight - moving and stationary, as well as some tai chi reloads. Again, like last night, just sharpening the blade I've worked on since January...

Really looking forward to the match; I've visualized everything that will happen starting at least a month ago, and I'm really looking forward to getting to the range tomorrow and starting that plan.

Best of luck to everyone else attending the match - bring your A game!! :)

I smoke my reloads

I move with authority

Edited by Catfish

Recon'd the match today - looks like it will be a LOT of fun!! Everything I've been working on, with the exception of stron/weak hand shooting will be featured!

I'm really looking forward to getting started tomorrow!

Got to watch the Friday super squad with Manny, Dave Sevigny and Xre on several stages - as soon as I get the videos uploaded I'll post what I got.

Some final sharpening of the blade tonight - a handful of tai chi draws and reloads working on that perfect draw/reload.

I'm ready.

Day 1 report:

My performance has been pretty good and I'm very pleased with my shooting. Took down the steel at long range (such as it was for this match - maybe 15-18 yards off) very well, and I've been shooting and moving much better than this time last year.

Bad news is my gun puked on me pretty bad. Trigger group went down on one stage and my hammer started to follow. Bang bang, rack, bang bang rack....

Ended up shooting the last two stages of the day with a borrowed gun thanks to a buddy's generousity - all in all not too bad a deal, and I'm looking forward to some good tests and match performances tomorrow once we get my gun back up and running.

Got good video, just need to get it posted properly; probably not till tomorrow night - sorry Airic!!

Day 2 report:

After a great talk with Phil S yesterday at the end of the day, I got my head on straight and showed up this morning ready to shoot 4 solid stages. First stage went great, second stage I bobbed the "lift the table" part and had to hit it again (yes, I'm turning in my man card...); but as far as the shooting went, it went fine. Third stage went very well, and on the 4th and last stage, which was the one with the two Texas stars, my disconnector broke and I got to shoot the stage with a single shot gun.... :ph34r:

Looking back tonight, out of the 12 stages - I shot 8 pretty solid, one was a brain fart/lack of attacking the stage, and on two, my gun broke. Shot two stages with a buddy's gun and threw the only 2 mikes I had on the match on those two stages.

I did a LOT right; and pretty much did my part of the deal when my gun was running, and I can live with that.

Lesson learned and what I will do to keep this kind of failure from happening again:

Like Musashi said, "pay attention to trifles"... I was paying attention to trifles, but not all of them. The trifles I was paying attention to were more of the shooting variety - foot positions, reload spots, tactics, etc. I noticed that my trigger had "changed" on me about a month ago. It was just different, and inconsistently so. I blew it off, thinking I was just not feeling the trigger right. Well, that was a trifle, and I ignored it. That won't happen again.

To solve the problem, I am going to come up with a regular system of changing out springs and components on my pistol that will wear and fail. I've been changing out recoil, mainsprings, and firing pin springs, but I've never set a schedule for the leaf spring, hammer, hammer strut, sear, disconnector, etc. To have a match blown because of a simple little part is unacceptable, and it won't be happening again.

The sucky thing about lessons is that they're usually painful, but the good part is that this match was just a step towards the final goal of shooting well at nationals. I learned that I can come back from a disasterous stage and shoot pretty well afterwards and that was worth the price of admission.

Not much to report today - good workout at the gym at lunch, getting ready for max week next week.... Lifted heavy and felt pretty good, really. I can tell the workouts are helping as my stamina was great over the course of the match this weekend and I was able to work out today with no ill effects...

Been fondling my single stack gun - looks like that's what I'll be shooting next month at the Space City match. Probably shoot it in L-10 so I don't have to mess with my mag or holster positions which will make shooting my Limited gun easier when I get it back.

At this point, it looks like the entire trigger/hammer group will need to be replaced.... But we'll see what happens once the 'smith gives it the once over.

If I can ever figure out how to post pictures, I'll have to post up a pic of the new single stack - it's pretty dang cool....

Hard day at the gym at lunch - last week of my 3 week cycle on arms and yeah, it kicked my arse today. Ab work after, inlcuding one of the new exercises I pulled from Gym Jones. Owie. My arms are pretty much blown and I'm glad that next week I can work on some cardio on Tuesday...

More generic fondling of the 1911 tonight; just getting used to it. Considering that I've got a lot of time behind the sights of a 1911, it is already feeling natural in my hands, the biggest difference now is the loooooong and narrow 10 round mags. Sheesh that's going to make my reloading a LOT better because there's no being lazy and letting the mag float in with those boogers. Either you hit the mag right or it no worky.

Talked to my 'smith today and he tells me that he plans to get to my Limited gun Thursday and start a diagnostic on how bad the damage is. Hopefully it's just new trigger parts... B)

Looks like he's thinking now that I can have the gun back end of next week, depending on if he has to order parts or not... If that's the case then I'll be back in the Limited saddle for Space City and I'll get in a good couple weeks practice on the 1911 which can do nothing but improve my reloading....

Looks like I need to get some caffiene handy for tomorrow night - I'll be up at least till 11 signing up for Nats!!

A coupla new positive thoughts for the next big match:

I move with controlled agression

I shoot well on the move

Here's stage 12 - first shooter on the first stage of the match. I was pleased with a solid run...

Here's stage 10, day 2, last stage b4 gun broke. I set the goal before the stage of getting on the sights quickly on the last array and it worked fine - thanks Phil!

Stage 8 - first stage of day 2 I believe. VERY nervous that my gun would work after the marathon fixing session we had Saturday night.

More as YouTube releases them...

Anyone with anything I can do to improve, jump right in. ;)

Stg 9 - had a great plan here, just wasn't man enough to lift the table!!

Stg 3

Stg 1; lost gobs of time here - and I think this was the beginning of the end of my trigger; on one of the targets to the left it sounds like trigger freeze, but the more I think about it, the more I think the trigger was starting to go belly up. Didn't cause me to lose time, though, just a hitch.... Short of flat out running through this stage I don't know...

Stg 7 - I zig zagged like crazy here - should have been running down the middle - anyone else see something else to improve on here?

that's all folks! No sense in watching the death stages, I know what I did wrong there :lol:

Again, any input appreciated.

Stg 7 - I zig zagged like crazy here - should have been running down the middle - anyone else see something else to improve on here?

The zig-zagging didn't cost you a whole lot. Heading towards each target buys you time to engage it - you might have been tempted to fling shots at targets without that time to work with. Moving in a straighter line would be a little quicker, maybe - but you'd have to be moving quicker, as well to really make any difference. Work shoot-on-the-move at extreme angles, and work on your flexibility. You would like to be able to haul ass and shoot at targets at 90 degrees to your direction of travel, while still having your hips roughly pointed where you are going... (more than that, and you might thing about engaging while moving backwards, instead...)

The criticisms I'd make are.... why so long on the first target? Looks like you were trying to shoot a group at 25 yards... or couldn't you find the dot??? :lol: On the last array, you could've saved some time by coming in on the right most target (like you did) and shooting right to left across what was left - looks like you got a little bit deep into that wall and had to pull back from it some. If you were about a step back, it was a simple index from one target to the next... (let me know if that doesn't make sense).

doh! Thanks Dave. First shot was long in coming as I was using a borrowed gun and it felt, well, wrong. But you're right, that should have just been point and shoot regardless.

Will incorporate the other stuff, thanks!

Shot IDPA with the SS/CDP gun tonight. New gun, first time I've pulled the trigger on it and everything went just fine.

I had an SV ambi safety that I won off a prize table last year installed on it; which caused me a tad of grief on the 2nd stage, didn't get my thumb up high enough to engage it, but that was about the worst of it.

Shot solid, lots of zeros and had fun shooting tonight with the .45....

Worked on Xre's advice to shoot whilst turning my shoulders but keeping my hips going forward and it worked well, probably my best stage of the night and the only one that didn't hose you if you were shooting 8+1. :lol:

Grip, reloads and draw were all solid and the new gun ran like a champ. Looking foward to shooting the single stack for the next coupla weeks.

Went for two of the infamous ipsc speed reloads, but caught myself before I earned a penalty....

Had fun, and in the end, that's what it's all about!!!

You'll get a slot... don't sweat it ;) Plan on being there. Worst case, go anyway, and you'll get in... They've never had someone show up with cash in hand who was turned away... ;)

ETA... Bill and Ted say "Sixxxty Niiiiiiiine, doooooood!!!!!" \m/ \m/

:lol:

Edited by XRe

You'll get a slot... don't sweat it ;) Plan on being there. Worst case, go anyway, and you'll get in... They've never had someone show up with cash in hand who was turned away... ;)

ETA... Bill and Ted say "Sixxxty Niiiiiiiine, doooooood!!!!!" \m/ \m/

:lol:

That's my plan - and I too thought of good ole Bill and Ted. :lol:

Ok - for those of you gym rats:

Worked into my normal deadlift day one of the routines from Gym Jones.

10x135 Deadlift

25x24" box jump

Repeat 3 times for time.

I did this today and it was absolutely brutal. Finished it in 6:59 and it was all I could do to not puke.

I'm going to beat 6:59 next week. ;)