Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Fish

Catfish

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 1 of max week under my belt.

Added 50lbs to my squats (a big jump because last time I stopped at 315 when I got a cramp in my lower back....) and 15 lbs to my overhead press/military press - I expect I'll add quite a bit of weight on my deadlifts on Wednesday, but the other presses will be in line with the OHP....

Gunwork tonight....

Usually I take a day off after a weekend's worth of shooting, but I decided that I'd be better served by reinforcing some positive technique, in case anything got out of whack this weekend.

So, I did 50 Tai Chi draws and 50 Tai Chi reloads; smooth as silk and really working on technique. Holster issue is taken care of, all I really had to cope with was a bit of a tired body after maxing out today...

The working out is paying dividends, though - last year I would not have been able to handle the physical strain of the weather and the elements for two days and shoot better on the 2nd day.

About 6 weeks till Double Tap - got to make every training session count!

Arms day at the gym tonight - wasn't able to get to the gym at lunch. Good one - one more week of arms to go this cycle. Hopefully I didn't wear myself out for tomorrow's deadlift max day.... 9 solid sets of ab work as well - 6 sets of what I call hangers (where you're hanging off the bar and bring your knees up to your chest) and 3 sets of SEAL kicks. Must be getting better because this stuff isn't killing me like it was 4 weeks ago. :lol:

I've hit a rythm for my nightly dry fire practice. It's now officially a habit. Worked Anderson's drills #1, 15, and 19. It's funny just how a tad bit of intensity and concentration and I can make the times I'm shooting for, but the instant I relax my focus I'm off several tenths. As we all know - those tenths add up!! :wacko:

I did some counting up and I figure I've got about only 25 days of practice between now and Double Tap. I am indeed going to make the most of 'em.

Yup, deadlift day today and put about 40 pounds onto my deadlift max and about 20 pounds onto my shrug lift. As usual, deadlifts just flat out wore my arse out and I didn't hit any practice tonight - with the pistol at least.

Going to try and go to the tiger valley 3-gun this weekend and I did some familiarization with my shotgun tonight.... Working on reloads!! :ph34r:

Footwork drills at the gym today. Just went till I couldn't go any more. As usual, wound up in a puddle of sweat....

Anderson's drills #1, 9, 10 tonight. My reloads are just floating right into the mag well. Tonight was the first night since I've been hitting it that every single reload floated into the mag well with nuthin' but net. It was pretty cool. I was wearing a blue shirt and was even seeing the reflection of the shirt on the mag tube going into the gun.

Pretty cool, huh? ;)

I move with perfect timing and impeccable coordination.

Final day of max week and I"m happy to say that I went up in every lift. Bench went up 25 pounds, and rows went up 30.

Spent a good portion of the evening getting ready for 3 gun tomorrow, but got in 50 perfect tai chi draws and 50 perfect tai chi reloads. Actually fairly tired tonight, and considering the oh-dark-hundred start tomorrow morning, that's about it for me!!

3 gun tomorrow should be fun, first 3 gun match ever and considering that my AR is practically brand new, never fired past about 20 yards and there's 300 yard shots going on..... it should be entertaining!

Dear God that was a long day. Out the door at 5:30 and I'm just now getting home. Tiger Valley 3 gun was fun, I'm glad I went.

Really showed things I need to work on:

Rifle - I was tearing it up on the close targets within 50 yards - excellent groups and good target aquisition and speed. The longer range and/or precision stuff though absolutely kicked my ass. Shot well on paper targets, but "non standard", for me anyway, steel targets were just flat out hideous. :ph34r:

Shotgun - I pull the trigger and hit the target very well. Reloading tho... :lol: Christ that was slow.

Pistol was good, no complaints there, nor would I expect any. ;)

All in all it was a good day of trigger time. It's the first time in a loooooong time that if someone said - after the last stage - hey, let's go shoot one more! I'd have just bagged it and went home. I had all I wanted today. Wind was a real beeatch for sure, and never really warmed up....

On a very positive note, not one single mechanical issue - all of my gear worked great, any issues were mine and mine alone.

Now it's nap time before I have to get up and run the USPSA match tomorrow.... B)

Glad you could make the match today Eric!

Was pretty damn tired when it came to match time but made it through the match pretty well and shot fairly solid. Could tell I wasn't on top of my game with some reloads that weren't as crisp as I can be and watching some video my movement just wasn't what it should be. I'll take it though, because it was good enough for a Limited match win, and 3rd ovl about 8% behind an Open GM and less than 1% behind a solid A Open shooter.

Been a good weekend of shootin', but I'm tired!

Here's some video of the 3 gun yesterday and the match today. Enjoy!

3 gun:

USPSA

Edited to add - YouTube is wierd - I watched these videos a bit ago and they both were working, now they're not. Hopefully they'll be working later!!

Edited by Catfish

Good day at the gym today - squats, OHP and bench... Lots of ab work today as well.

No gun work today, other than clean up and maintenance after this weekend's matches.

A good Maku Mozo for today - sums up my classifier woes!

"Be master of mind; don't be mastered by mind."

-Pai-chang

I finally settled down for a classifier yesterday and shot an El Prez in 6.09 with I wanna say 3-4 charlies... I'll take it - considering how damn flat I was yesterday. ;)

Great arms workout today at lunch - I can't feel my hands so I'm typing this with only a coupla fingers.... :blink:

Hope to get in some practice tonight - late meeting after work and I hope I get home early enough to get some gun work in.... Pray for me! :D

Got home not too late, had some time to mess around a bit, and got in about 30 minutes or so dry fire. Worked on smoothness, tai chi speed table draws, holster draws (both with hands at side and at surrender), mag changes, and one step mag changes.

I've noticed that at the matches, I'm slow on the first shot; almost like I'm not trusting the sight and verifying/re-verifying the sight picture. Granted, it's not costing me but a tenth or two, but hey, this sport is all about getting rid of those extra tenths. So tonight I started working on breaking the shot as SOON as the gun was up and on target... Something to work on indeed.

Good session tonight. Really had to get on my focus to make the par times I've established. I've been limiting my dry fire to a target at about 5 yards because that's as far as I could get away in my "gun" room.

I had one of those brief moments of brilliance tonight and figured that standing in one end of the hallway, and "shooting" down the hallway into the dining room (not that I've ever eaten a meal in there, but hey, my wife likes the furniture in there so who am I to argue...) would easily give me 10 yards. Kept my par times the same as they were at 5 yards and really had to work my focus to meet them. I was actually sweating by the time I finished and it was good. The more you sweat in practice.....

Hit drills 1, 4, and 7.

Time to start thinking about the match this Sunday - anyone have an idea for a classifier that doesn't require steel, can be set in a minimum of space, and isn't an El Prez, Can you Count, or Melody Line??

Heavy day at the gym at lunch - good deadlifts, shrugs, and pulldowns - light work on rows.

Any more ideas for the classifier this weekend?? Nuevo El Prez ain't bad - but I think we shot that once in the last few months...

Anderson's drills #1, 2, 5, 6.

#1 felt pretty rough for starters, and I was getting a little bit flustered - practically every draw I was calling the shot in the C zone to the left of the lower A zone. Then I started hitting my stong and weak hand draws spot on and decided to finish up with #2 - which was still calling the the shot to the left, but more on the border between the A/C and not smack in the middle of the C.

I'm attributing this little issue to moving my holster a bit tonight. I've been catching the fingernail of my middle finger on the bottom of my outer belt and it's been annoying the

sh!t out of me. I finally remembered that YES YOU CAN MOVE THE HOLSTER AROUND DUMBA$$!! :wacko:

Anyway, draw feels better, I feel better, life is good.

I move with perfect timing and impeccable coordination

Good workout today at lunch - heavy bench and rows, and speed work on OHP.

No gun work tonight - anniversary dinner with my wife :wub: and some things are more important than practice. :)

Hope to get some live fire practice tomorrow and shoot the match Sunday. You local fellas reading this journal might wanna practice your weak hand shootin'. ;)