Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson Patriot Expert

the duck of death

Unless they have had a significant increase in QC save your money. I won a DW at a match in 01. The trigger was FUBAR and the barrel were fitted wrong. I had my gunsmith look at it. He said you have two choices, sell it to somebody you don't like or spend a bunch on fixing it. It went down the road. Might be a reason they went under all those times? Save your money and buy a SA or Kimber. You get what you pay for.

I got the DW Patriot expert stainless  today, 17 Feb, it is the tightest 1911 I've ever seen.  I have 7 others 4 Kimbers, a Colt,  para and a  SVI.  Lock up is the best I've seen on any 1911,  the barrel is tight in the bushing and NO movement at the ejection port.  Quality looks excellent,  well done with a nice set of grips, and it's all metal including the trigger and a steel mainspring housing.  The grip safety is nickle plated the barrel bushing and firing pin stop are blued.

The trigger pull is excellent which in part is due to a reduced power hammer spring.

I'll put on a SA magwell and a Cominolli frame saver guide rod and that's it.

Now if it will function OK it's a bargin at the price.

(Edited by the duck of death at 2:55 pm on Feb. 17, 2003)

(Edited by the duck of death at 3:22 pm on Feb. 17, 2003)

Chriss,

I'm sorry to hear that you got a bad "Dan". But you are right, you got what you paid for. Actually the quality of the companies products has already made a name for itself, and has a tremendously loyal following (myself included). Dan Wesson makes probably THE finest all around revolvers on the planet. Check up on the IHMSA, Dan Wessons hold their own better than most. And these guys can teach us a thing or two about major power factors. They started as a revolver company, maybe it just took them a little longer to figure out a self loader! In a world where people are willing to shell out big bucks for a name, It is refreshing to see a small company like Dan Wesson pumping out quality firearms at a reasonable price. Dont sell them short.

Duck, keep us posted!!

18 Feb, one day after receipt of the DW Patriot Expert stainless and after cleaning and removing the interior razor edges I discovered that the extension on the ejector was broken off.  I called DW and they are mailing one tomorrow along with a lower front sight.  I have read on the internet that the  gun shoots low.  No charge for these items.

As far as shooting, the gun functioned perfectly with the Cominolli frame saver installed and locked the slide back after the last shot.

The ejector wasn't a problem as the brass was ejected in a tight circle 4' from the gun.  I'll smooth off the rough edges at the break and leave it alone.

I put on some polymer ivory grips and the gun is quite striking.

I was shooting my competition load: 5.4 N320, 200 lead SWC, WW LP, any case,  

OAL 1.245.

I'll shoot for accuracy another day the target furnished by DW was about 3/4" at 15 yds so I doubt accuracy is going to be a problem.

So far I would highly recommend this pistol.

(Edited by the duck of death at 2:38 pm on Feb. 18, 2003)