Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Little poppers...

Ron Ankeny

Our club rules call for a DQ if you try to hammer a popper down.  Sounds like providing the shooters something else to shoot would prevent most problems.

Something I'll keep in mind as a newbie MD.

Hammering poppers is a safety problem, but you can't DQ for it.

Some clubs have gone to forward falling poppers for this reason.

One local club has FF poppers that are spring loaded, and they work very well.

Turning regular poppers backwards works, but have the possibility  that a second shot at just the right time will stand them back up.  This kind of target should not be legal.

Quote: from Flexmoney on 8:20 pm on Sep. 19, 2002

Now, Carl Lewis will likely be able to out run just about any person in the world to the wall...say he can get there in 5 seconds.  It may take you 8-12 seconds to get to the wall.  But, it doesn matter..because neither runner can proceed until the 15 seconds has passed and the wall has dropped.

Can't he just kick it so falls down faster?

I've never seen the rule enforced, as I've personally hammered a popper or two.

I've been going over some of the info dumped on me as I get ready to take over as MD and BOD member, so all I can say is this is in the club rules entitled "Action Shooting Sports Standards for Operation".

From my limited understanding of my future role as USPSA Director and MD, in theory I would be responsible for enforcing club rules as well as USPSA rules.

This is how it's stated "When using steel plates and pepper poppers to activate a prop or target, hammering the steel (double tapping) is prohibited".

The DQ is an assumption on my part, but this is the standard end result for safety issues at the club.

I also have a "Pre-Match Safety Meeting" sheet here that simply states "Hammering (double tapping) poppers, pepper poppers, or steel plates is not permitted".

There's a BOD meeting tomorrow night, so I can consult with our current MD and see what's up with this rule.

I've shot in 4 different types of action pistol matches at this club and so far have never heard this rule mentioned.