Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considerate With Comp?

McNeil

Hello all,

I am having George at GA Precision build me a tack driver and I am a recoil wussy. So at first I asked for a JP recoil eliminator, then I got some remarks like,"man I don't want to shoot next to you", or "I feel sorry for your spotter" And what about the dust cloud?

so George told me to try a Badger brake, and I am considering an AWC brake, that only has ports on top. It was reccomended to me by someone who shoots a .300 win mag and swears by its effectiveness, only watch out for the stuff in the canopy above, it may cause stuff to drop on you while shooting.

so, has anyone considered being considerate?

-Neil

Nope! Not compared to the advantages the JP Tank Brake brings to the table. It gets you clear benches at the public ranges too ;-) Seriously, I run the Tank Brake on an Open AR and my MOR rifle. The truth here is that ANY brake that really works will vent a lot of gas out either the sides, or the top, or the bottom, or some combination. The JP vents out the sides and does not stir up dirt any worse than less effective brakes. Get the JP and if there are issues change it. My bet is once you shoot a hefty caliber behind a JP Tank Brake, you won't respect any other brake quite the same again ;-)

Just get it built the way you want. There's nothing you can do to please everyone, so make yourself happy. On the public range thing you might want to go at a less busy time of day. I'd say that sort of thing is expected during a match.

Put the JP on it, offer any complainers a Kotex. :D

Check the matches you are planning to shoot for regs reguarding brakes, it's my understanding that some of the precision matches don't allow them. Might want to have George make a thread protector for the no brake matches.

I went through this last summer and finially settled on a Holland brake. It has a low dust factor great reduction in recoil and is friendly to spotter. Mind you all brakes that work will increase the noise level to some extent, if you really want to be nice and it's legal where you are put a suppresser on it.

Getting George at GA to build your rifle is a good start. Now when you say that george recommened the Badger brake, are you talking about the NEW brake that Badger makes? From what I understand the NEW one is the better one. There is nothing wrong with the older one (I have two of them on some of my AR's), but the new one is a little better.

What I have found to work good to control recoil on my rifles is a JET suppressor. Good luck with your choice. B)

This isn't a story about a brake,,,,but it is a story of a simple man, a .300 Win Mag and an indoor firing range...... :lol:

Yup, an indoor range, I miss that range, anyway, back then, it could handle the .300 just fine. I took it in there to zero it,,,,,,I knew it would be loud, but there usually wasn't anyone on that range.

Well that day there was a Dad and two boys. The boys were plinking with a .22 and the Dad was zero'ing a muzzle loader.

After I got set up,,,,,the first round was touched off,,,,KKAAAAWWWWHHHHOOOOMMMM.

Through my muffs, I heard a "crack" from the .22 then I heard one of the boys say

"WWWHHHOOOAAA, Dad, I could FEEL that one!!!!"

I packed up the .300 and switched to the .223 for a while.....

Some other day a story of a simple man,,,,,,a 100 yard plinking session with a .45,,,,,and shooting table,,,,,,and a bad case of plumbers crack.

That story "ends" well for nobody,,,,,funny same range,,,,,,I miss that place.......

Neil,

What caliber ? any of the 308 variants ( 243, 260, 308 ) will be pretty tame to begin with. A brake just makes them so much nicer on a day when you want to through 50 or so down the tube. You come back from the range like a trip to McD's.

I have a Vais brake on my 260 rem and it is like shooting a 223. My 10 year old has shot it off the bench and he weighs about 75 lbs. It does have the holes all the way around so prone without a mat gets dusty.

All that said, if you wnat a JP tank brake then get one. GA Precision & Badger Ordnance share the exact same street address in KC, MO. I do not know if they simply share sapce or are somehow conected but George suggests a lot of Badger stuff. His guys build some fantastic rifles. I'm sure you will love it no matter what.

Let us know how it goes.

Hi Yeah, its a .308

I just love that round

Bottom line was, I love JP stuff, I have 1 AR and 1 AR10 with cooley comps. I have shot large caliber guns with the tank brake and it is the cats ass. I spoke to John Paul and he said definitely use it and have George just call and order one. I spoke to George today and asked him to make me a thread protector for the gun, just in case its a problem. He said, no problem, the comp will be threaded on tightly and clocked just right so it will line up And then he said something that gave me goosebumps, he said "its almost done"

-WOW

-Neil

Sorry for the delay posting, Its going to be on a McMillan A5 stock, with a very slightly tapered barrel, to save some weight. Also, Badger bottom metal with the AICs mags.

-Neil

:wub::wub::wub:

This is my next major purchase after I get back from Afghanistan. GA Precision Crusader in .243.

Rich

As soon as I wrap my hands around it I'll be taking the time to mount the scope, I think this time I will take the time to do it right. I have a bunch of the Lake city LR ammo with the 175 head, as well and I'll be trying that too.

-Neil

• 3 weeks later...

Try the Badger brake. I've got an older style, and modded it by milling ports in the top. It works much better now, but it pretty much mimics the Holland design.

The Badger brake at first didn't comp much, the milling fixed it.

Make sure George de-horns that bottom metal for ya, or you'll be bleeding all over the place at your first match!