Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bomar Rear Sight Doesn't Fit

ctgun

I was fortunate enough that Santa brought me a new Bomar adjustable rear sight for my G31. I tried to install it though to no availe. It said on the Brownell's web site that it was suppose to fit in without any modifications. Has anyone here run into the same problem and if so what did you do to fix it?

I was fortunate enough that Santa brought me a new Bomar adjustable rear sight for my G31. I tried to install it though to no availe. It said on the Brownell's web site that it was suppose to fit in without any modifications. Has anyone here run into the same problem and if so what did you do to fix it?

Need more info ---- are the set screws in the way? Is the base of the sight way oversized, or just slightly? Go any goo or junk adhering to the sight slot in the slide?

Thanks for the responses.

I have all of the hieght adjustment screws out and cleaned off any of the grease that came on the sight. I did put a drop of oil in the sight notch to help ease it in but to no avail. Is it common to have to file down the site a bit to get it in?

Bomar rears tend to go in tightly in my experience, and I've installed quite a few. I always needed to bump them in far enough to get my Glock sight tool to push them the rest of the way. I used an outside edge of the pusher against the sight. I bump them in with a nylon gunsmith's hammer with the slide on a thick gunsmith's pad. Remember the center of the sight cut on a Glock is slightly tighter to bold the plastic sights in place. They told us this in the early armorer's class I took. I suppose there could have been changes, Glock does that frequently and doesn't necessarily let the rest of the world know.

Thanks for the responses.

I have all of the hieght adjustment screws out and cleaned off any of the grease that came on the sight. I did put a drop of oil in the sight notch to help ease it in but to no avail. Is it common to have to file down the site a bit to get it in?

Pretty common for me, on at least one Bo-Mar and all of the Sevigny rears I've installed.....

Put your slide in a vise. I used a piece nylon rod to drive mine in. Try both sides you will usually find one starts easier than the other. Tap in in but not too tight then tap it back out and you'll see where it is binding. On the shinny spots where it rubbing take a little off. Repeat process until unit goes a little more than halfway in with mild pressure. Then for final run use green loctite, sleeve locker if you want I found it isn't necessary.

Another trick is some folks put a pencil mark on slide of where there windage zero is and then drive sight center to that point.