Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

It's Not Gaming, It's Just Not Being a Sheep

ErikW

My good friend Nemo has the following as his signature line:

"Everyone can seem to accept losing to someone who can outshoot them, but some cannot accept losing to someone who can out-think them."

Shadow - Nov 28, 2005

We are not morally inferior or cheating because we do not search for the intent of the stage designer.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Practical shooting is distinct from other shooting disciplines in that the responsibility for determining the best, safe solution to the problem presented by a course of fire is the competitor's. In other words, practical shooting intends to test the ability to think in addition to testing the ability to shoot rapidly and accurately. That intent is formalized in the Practical Shooting Handbook, in which IPSC 1.1.5 says, "IPSC matches are freestyle".

- National Classification Course Book, 2004

Lee this explains everything i am thinking right now. Just because I can "game" a stage does'nt mean i'm breaking the rules. IPSC/USPSA is meant to be freestyle and that is part of the sport that I love.

I often find myself thinking something like "Cool! That's a neat way to shoot the stage. I wish I'd thought of holding the poker chips in my buttcrack." (Followed by "Man, I'm glad I already shot this stage.")

I love this. Darn funny.

How do you figure shooting through a picket fence that you know is supposed to be a hard barrier, but is not described that way in the description, is shooting according to the rules?

Lee, lots of people "game" stages. Missouri Fall Classic 2006, there was a stage where there was a wall that had the top 3/4 solid and the bottom was snow fence. I saw Dave Sevigny walk up and the first thing he said was, "can i shoot under that?" Yet nobody complains about him. Only the lower class people are criticized. That angers me. :angry: