Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Warning Caspian Hi Cap Owners

Loves2Shoot

I recently upgraded my pinned Ghost to the new pinless style. As usual, Angus provided immediate shipment.

The new block has a slightly different feel to it, and the gun can be rocked a bit more with the pinless mechanism, but I'm generally satisfied.

My observations:

1. Ghost has substituted a single piece plastic knob/lever assembly for the old metal one with the aluminum lever. Although there's nothing wrong with the new design, it's an obvious cost cutting move and the old knob/lever is much nicer (once you loctite the lever into the knob). Fortunately, it's no problem to move the old knob to the new mechanism.

2. The mounting bolt holes no longer go through the block, and the existing bolt are too long. The upgrade kit does not contain new bolts, leaving you with a choice of cutting the existing bolts or a visit to the hardware store. Unless you have the correct tools to cut the bolts cleanly without messing up the starting point for the threads, it's easier to just buy new onces. I had no problem finding the necessary bolts at the local hardware store, however, it would probably be a good idea for Angus to add a set of shorter ones to the upgrade kit.

3. The mechanism allows you to move the lever up or down for "lock mode" (probably a change to facilitate conversion to its sinistral counterpart). I like the "up" position for walking around, since the lever is much less likely to catch on a coat that it is in the down position. Obviously, "up and locked" is not a useful drawing position. For me, at least, the new block has three states: Unlocked, Locked ready for draw and locked for walking around.

I'm satisfied with the Ghost, the support from Angus (broke a part once - got an immediate replacement, free) and the upgrade kit. One more consideration: The pin in the original Ghost not only requires a modification to your frame, but it also will prevent you for using 90% of the loaner guns that will be offered if yours breaks mid-match.