Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thomas Moore "if Possible"

Thomas Moore

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last major of the year is over, Area 2, I had a great time. The weather was unbelievable, 85 and sunny during the day and high 50's at night.

I placed 14th out of 128, which is two places higher than last year. I was able to walk away from the prize table with a SA XD in 9mm. You can't travel 1700 miles and only shoot one time so the wife and I stayed a few more days and shot Tuesday night steel. I shot through twice, once in the daylight and once at night with the huge flood lights on. It's a blast shooting in the cool of the night with the lights, here in Michigan we don't get a chance to shoot at night.

After the awards on Sunday we decided to go up to the Canyon for a little hike, at least what we thought was going to be a little hike. Near the lodges on the South Rim is a trail head marked Bright Angel trail. This trail will lead you all over the Canyon floor and other places as well. We decided to go through Indian Gardens to Plateau Point which is 6 miles out and 1000 feet about the river. It only took us 4 hours to reach our goal. We stayed at the point for 30 minutes or so taking in all the scenes.

You hear the saying "What goes up must come down". This is the opposite, "What goes down must get out before dark" and we had a long 6 miles ahead of us. I was prepared, I trained at the gym by running three miles every other day. The wife on the other hand thought she could make it and I thought she could too. We were about 4 miles from the top when the train came off the tracks. This is when I found out she only drank about 10 ounces of water all day. I had already gone through 100 ounces. I knew what was next so I told her to start drinking as much water as possible. About the 3 mile mark her legs started to cramp up really bad and almost immobilizing her, not to mention the six blisters she has on her feet.

This was going to get scary, moving a 1/2 mile an hour with 3 miles to go and 3 hours of sunlight left, it didn't seem like we were going to get out of there. A few times my wife told me to leave her down there and go for help. No way was I going to leave you down here by yourself and in the dark. So I did the only thing I knew and that was to help her think in a positive way. Every time she wanted to give up I would say "give me 5 more steps" I kept this up for three hours. We finally made it out after hiking for 10 hours and 12 miles. Four days later and she still is pretty sore.

It was an adventure the both of us will never forget.

<_< Thanks for sharring your hikeing story. I know how you feal, My wife and I had an oposite weather /heat "event" after nationals. Hiking in Glacier park, We had full gear but all day rain and ice storm and snoe. 10miles in on the second day with full gear. slips and falls can make a toll.

• 4 weeks later...
I think I have officially fallen off the wagon. I have not been to the gym on a regular basis since October. I need some motivation. Hopefully I'll get back in to the gym once Christmas is over.

Merry Christmas to all.

Merry Christmas to you too.

I am in the same boat as you right now. Really tough year this year and got burned out really bad. I'm in the middle of a extended break from shooting right now. I still work out but no cardio. Maybe try this.

To me it's fine to need a break every now and then. Day after Christmas start back on your diet. Go ahead and party down on New Years Eve. Stick with the diet until about Jan 15 and start working out again. This will give your body time to adjust to your new eating habits. Then maybe change the way you work out. I don't stick with the same routine every week. I work out and cardio for 4 and then take a week off. Gives your body a chance to recover and make you want to go and workout again. Does the place that you work have a gym. If it does that makes all the difference in the world. You can go and workout during your lunch hour. If you don't get an hour then you'll just have to condense it all into supersets. Now your going to get your cardio too. If your not used to supersets you'll know what I'm talking about the first time you so them. It will smoke your ass.

Another thing that will keep you on the wagon is don't do the same exercises all the time. I can think of nine ways just to workout your triceps. Be creative and look on the internet for different ones. Here's one for you. Take a 10 lbs. weight and go thru the motion of drawing your pistol, moving with the pistol, etc. It's different for sure but it works. It changes things up.

Hopefully my shooting will improve this year. I'm close but there are some fundementals that need alot of work. I'll be back training on 15 Jan 08. I'll be hungry again by then.

Hope this helps some. Hang in there and don't get down on yourself. I fall of the wagon too, you just have to get back on and ride. Keep your body and your mind interested.

Chris Conley

Edited by Chris Conley

A few times my wife told me to leave her down there and go for help. No way was I going to leave you down here by yourself and in the dark. So I did the only thing I knew and that was to help her think in a positive way. Every time she wanted to give up I would say "give me 5 more steps" I kept this up for three hours. We finally made it out after hiking for 10 hours and 12 miles. Four days later and she still is pretty sore.

It was an adventure the both of us will never forget.

I think I have officially fallen off the wagon. I have not been to the gym on a regular basis since October. I need some motivation. Hopefully I'll get back in to the gym once Christmas is over.

Merry Christmas to all.

Me thinks you have what it takes to get back on the wagon :D You hiked the canyon and coached your wife out of a dangerous situation. Keep talking to yourself like you were talking to your wife that day and the new year will bring you very good things. B)

Have a great Holiday Season Thomas!

Jane

Why once Christmas is over? Force yourself to do it tomorrow....or better yet...tonight.

You gotta force yourself to do it...especially when your too tired, too cold, or too busy.

I agree. Tough love coming. :wub:

Quit making excuses. Go when you don't want to go. That is one of the big differences between a win or a loss. Erh you get what I mean.

Why once Christmas is over? Force yourself to do it tomorrow....or better yet...tonight.

You gotta force yourself to do it...especially when your too tired, too cold, or too busy.

Jake is right on. After the new year, I will be teaching from 7-3:30 and in classes from 4-9...so if I want to get my workout and dryfiring in before 10pm, I'll have to get up at 3:45a Monday-Friday.

Is that early as hell? Yup! Are there going to be mornings that I won't want to get up? Probably 5 a week.

Am I going to thank myself when I preform at the level that I want to preform at in 2008? ;)

I know that you have the desire to make it happen Thomas. You were so energized (and fit) at the PA Sectional...find out what changed, and fix it!

In the same vein, I re-read Lanny Bassham's book and am currently reworking my Directive Affirmations for my fitness and shooting goals. I would STRONGLY recommend that you pick up this book if you haven't already and give it a read. It'll give you all the tools you need to step back up to the plate.

• 3 weeks later...

1/2/08

I'm back in the gym!!!

I worked for 2 hours tonight on a combination of cardio, upper and lower weights.

That first mile on the treadmill was an eye opener. The chest was a bit tight, perhaps it was in shock since the last time I ran was almost a month ago.

Chronological weight gain for the last 20 years. That's almost as old as Jake, damn I feel old. :P

June 1st 1989 145lbs (high school)

April 16th 1994 165lbs (my wedding)

September 1st 2007 226lbs (heaviest weight)

October 30th 2007 209lbs

January 2nd 2008 218lbs (damn cookies, cakes and pies)

I have a journey ahead of me but maybe someday I'll get back down to my fighting weight. I don't think I'll ever see 145 again but 165 might be reachable.

1/3/08

Another 2 hours at the gym tonight. Started out with two miles on the treadmill and some light weights. Then the wife and I thought it would fun to try one of the free classes our gym offers. So we signed up for the "Step it up" class, you can imagine what that means. We finished the 1 hour session but it kicked out asses pretty good. The trainer was a 5ft power house, she reminded me of Sam from the Friday night show Vegas on NBC.

I didn't reach my end of the year 2007 goal but it's still reachable before the 08 season starts.

Hope everyone had a great new year!!

1/4/08

Workout diary:

Back at the gym with a 10 mile bike ride before starting the Friday evening workout. This time they had a "body pump" class, designed with a stepping device and weights. This one hour class, according to the instructor, burned 1000 calories. My arms feel like they are going to fall of at any moment. The class was similar to the step class but with weights this time around. Talk about muscles burning, I think I actually smelled muscles burning or that could have been the chicken burrito I had for lunch. :) I'm really enjoying the classes, it's much better than running on a treadmill which is boring if you ask me.

1/8/08

WOD:

started out with 20 minutes on the treadmill at 3 mph with a 6 degree incline. Then I hit the upper body weight circuit using max weights and low reps.

met the wife about an hour later and we completed the 1 hour step class working the entire body. finished with stretching and some light yoga.

feeling a bit under the weather today but i'll fight through it by drinking plenty of water. 96oz total for 1/8/08

1/17/08

well i've gone and done it now, after my work out today i hired a personal trainer for 12 weeks twice a week. comes with 1/2 hour of training then i hit the cardio on my own dime. the package also includes nutrition plans which is what i desperately need.

wish me luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Worked out four days last week.

Started my one-on-one training last night with my personal trainer....four words....Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS).

I've written down everything I ate or drank for the week. I'm sure 90% of my food intake isn't good. My training package consists of a Nutritional assessment and revamping. This is what I need, someone to tell me what I can and can't eat.

Exercises she had me do:

Not in particular order:

Three sets of each.

Flat bench press then pushups with a bosu ball.

Squat thrusts with a jump after standing. These freakin things kill me quicker than anything else.

Reverse crunch then over head dumb bell press

Sit ups with a medicine ball while seated on a swiss ball and throwing it, then crunches while holding medicine ball.

Legg presses then right in to mountain climbers

Seated dumbbell curls

Leg Extensions, started with heavy weight for 10 reps then light for 10 reps time three so 60 reps all together. My thighs were on fire!

I had my second training session today and before we got started I had a body fat analysis performed. I had an analysis back in September so when I got home I dug through a mound of papers and these are the numbers;

September

weight 222

body fat 35.1%

fat weight 77.9lbs

lean (fat free) weight 144.1lbs

total body water 49.5%

body mass index 32.9

January

weight 222

body fat 26.1%

fat weight 57.9lbs

lean (fat free) weight 164.1lbs

total body water 55.3%

body mass index 32.9

My weight hasn't changed much and that is due to a poor diet. The good news is I'm loosing body fat and gaining muscle. With the right education on foods to eat, my trainer says I should be able to loose 20lbs by the start of the season. I gave him my food intake for last week and like i suspected the both of them ripped it up pretty good. You think you're eating right until you really study the label, christ there is sugar in just about everything. Looks like plain oatmeal or egg white omelets for breakfast!!! Yummy!!!

• 3 weeks later...

It's been two weeks and I've been hitting it non stop M-F. Since starting the first week of January I'm actually starting to see a change. The clothes are fitting looser so i know I'm loosing fat. I started using a heart monitor that also tracks calories burned. It's pretty cool to see how many calories one can burn off in a session. I'll try and post a PDF of the results, I've only been using it for three days and I had the thing for two years.

filename_1203125342462_1_.pdf

Thanks Jane and I know you're going to be one of the top lady shooters with all of your dry firing and that awesome dojo you have in your basement.

I'm off to the gym today to do my first 6 day in a row workout. No weights today because I'm a little burned out from the Les Mills Body Pump class last night, so it will be cardio for me today.

Link to Les Mills website