Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Mm Oal Question

Gunmac

I have seen quite a bit of variation with suggested overall length on the 9 mm cartridges. Low of 1.05 to 1.135 in the manuals I have. The commercial ammo I have averaged 1.157 overall measured length.

Being on the safe side I use the commercial measurement. They fit in the Glock magazine and load without any problems.

As long as the cartridge fits and feeds is it better to be on the higher side to avoid compressed loads as long as you chrono them?

As a rule of thumb.....I load for the magazine and function. Then I worry about the load. For example, I load 147s out to 1.130 OAL, vs. book of 1.110. They feed fine in my XD, Beretta, and my STI widebodies. I also load 115s and 95/88jhps out as far as I can for feed reliability in my STIs, which still also feed in my other guns.

I hope this helps...

Regards,

DougC

Factory 124-125 ball and 115-124 jhp are all loaded pretty short compared to what I find works best with my reloads in many different 9mm pistols. I load as short as 1.120 with JHP and ball for some recipes and as long as 1.145 for others. 1.135 is a good place to start, but so is anything from 1.125 to 1.140. You are correct about function and mag fit being the main arbiters of OAL once you are in the ballpark with it. The shorter you load, the more you "might" need to consider pressure, but only if you are pushing any of the envelopes with bullet weight, and/or charge weight.

I have found in my guns that the longer the OAL, the better accuracy I get. In my main gun I load 9's to 1.165" OAL. They fit in the mag with room to spare and function flawless.

Each guns mag will determine the longest OAL you can use. As Glock's for example can't go out as long as I load mine.

OAL can be all over the map,. and it depends on the bullet as well as the pistol. for instance, if you load a 115 JHP with a wide mouth, it is going to be relatively short for tis length. compared to a 124 FMJ with a pointy nose, and you can have wide OAL differences.

Ideally, you load for the length that: feeds reliably and shoots accurately, in that order. If you were to attempt to load out hypotheical 115 JHP out to the same length as the 124 FMJ, you may find that you can't get it to chamber. The cylindrical, bearing-surface portion of the bullet is too far out of the case.

Once you load tot he length that gets you reliable feeding and best accuray, thenyou have to adjsut powder weight to deliver the velocity you need. Longer lenght means more powder to deliver any particular desired velocity.