Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is There An "erasable" Way To Mark Rw Discs?

Howdy again folks,

Is there a way to write on a RW disc what the contents are of the disc, AND then go back and erase it or add to the description as you delete the contents of the RW and add new stuff?

I figure to an extent what is left by a sharpie marker is permanent. I would think that if I would use something like lacquer thinner to erase the sharpie ink I would risk ruining the disc or over time weakening and having a catastrophic failure inside the drive. DOH!

Thanks,

Chills

Thanks for the replies.

So the plain white lables you guys are talking about, are they just address labels, rectangular in shape?

Or do you use those circular labels meant for DVD's and CD's?

Do you leave the rectangular label on the disc when you stick it in the drive?

Just wondering about getting it out of balance.

As out mythbusters friends proved, it's really not that easy to shatter a disk. If you're worried about it, go w/ the round cd labels and the pencil technique George mentioned.

Really, any of the methods mentioned should work...but then again if you have that much data, buying blank CD-R's in bulk might be a nice way to go too. You can get them for around 10-15 cents each so for that price is it really worth your trouble.

Round white plain paper disc labels.

I also use the empty jewel case method PB suggests. I use a white freezer type tape on the case that doesn't leave gummy on the jewel case when peeled off.

If you're going to write the contents on the jewel case, just make sure that both disc and case are numbered ---- so you know which disc goes with which case....

Yeah, that's the OTHER problem I am having now. I have a Sony DVD Handycam and about 10 to 15 mini DVD-RW disks.

Using a sharpie I have labeled the disks and their small jewel cases with letters: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and so on. But the kicker is I have to put them back in the camera to see if there is anything on them. I try to keep them in separate piles. But it really is getting to be a pain.

"Okay, I have the D, E, and F disks, but where are their matching jewel cases and vice versa."

I have two matches this weekend that I want to go to and video as well as shoot, so it's getting kinda hectic trying to keep track of everything.

Do they make a smaller size disc label for the mini-DVD's?

Or do I have to trim it down myself?

Much grass!