Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf .40 Ammo Over The Chrono

Tokarev

I ran thirty rounds of WOLF 180-grain .40 ammo over the chrono this afternoon. Gun used was a 5" Trojan fired ten feet from the chrono. I used a Shooting Chrony.

I shot three strings of ten. Average for the strings was 978 fps. Out of thirty rounds, the low was 946 and the high was 1011.

Andrew

Brass or steel case? The 176 PF I could live with.... :)

This was the steel cased stuff. The brass cased ammo is only available in JHP and I think it's too expensive for most applications. It runs about $15 per box most places.

Sportsman's Guide has the polymer/steel ammo for $130 per 1,000.

$130 per 1000 for 180 grn bullets sounds good - especially since they throw in the case primer & powder plus saving you the time reloadng 1000 rounds. AND - it makes power factor. USGI practice .45 ACP was once made out of steel.

Anyone seen the price of 180 grn bullets these days?

Wolf will always be cheaper than brass cased ammo, but I think in 6 months when existing Wolf stockpiles have been cleared out a bit the price will be equal to aluminum cased Blazer. If you want Wolf at a good discount, buy it now - afterall even the Russians are affected by world metal prices.

Edited by ihatepickles

Here's the info from Sportsman's Guide, if anybody needs it.

I just re subscribed to the buyer's club and got free shipping. I should have really taken advantage of the deal and bought 5,000 rounds of the stuff.

Anyway:

250 rds. of Wolf® .40 cal. FMJ Ammo

Product: WX2-59048

In Stock.

Quantity: 4, Unit Price: $31.80, Total Price: $127.20

• 5 months later...

I finally pulled my Limited gun out of drydock and ran some WOLF through it. Same stuff as above with regard to distance, chorno, etc.

WOLF 180 grain runs a consistant 988 fps. through my Limited gun, which is an STI with a 5.0 barrel. Of the ten rounds fired, the difference between the high and low velocity was only 13 fps!

As an aside, I used this ammo to win L-10 at the NM Sectional. The ammo feels a little sticky or sluggish when being inserted into the mags but it all fed fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's the info from Sportsman's Guide, if anybody needs it.

I just re subscribed to the buyer's club and got free shipping. I should have really taken advantage of the deal and bought 5,000 rounds of the stuff.

Anyway:

250 rds. of Wolf® .40 cal. FMJ Ammo

Product: WX2-59048

In Stock.

Quantity: 4, Unit Price: $31.80, Total Price: $127.20

That's less than I can handload for using cast bullets! Damn! I feel stupid now buying that Dillon Super 1050 and all those primers and other components! :blink:

Anybody want a used 1050? LOL.