Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accessorizing A Rem-1100

JDBraddy

IPSCDRL, thanks for the offer but I am in Maine. I might make it down your way this summer for a match or two though. Do you shoot over at Harvard Sportsmans Club? I have shot Cowboy Action Matches there and, I understand, they have 3 gun matches there as well. Well, it kinda sounds like I will keep my factory plastic stock for now until I figure what is best for me. At least it will get me started and should not hinder me much, if at all. I am going to get one of the DMW EZ loaders and the Magazine tube extenders to make mine a 10 rounder. What do you guys think of the Tactical bolts? Are they a must or do they just get caught on a lot of things like one guy suggested. I will either leave my sights as is or I may go ahead and get a ghost ring rear. I already know that I like these cause I have shot them before. I don't think I will go with optics on the shotgun or the handgun at this time cause, as I understand it, that will put me in a different class. I guess I need to figure out what I need to carry all the shotgun rounds, handgun mags and pistol mags now. I suppose that if worse came to worse I would show up at my first match with oneof my cowboy shotgun belts, they hold 20 rounds each and, I have a bandolioer that holds 50, that oughta do it. :D

First of all, great thread - please keep it going. I just bought a mint 1100 CM and am very excited to take it out. Plan on using it for 3-gun (I'm new to 3-gun) and wonder about some of the things in this thread.

George, what do you consider "detergent" motor oil?

What does the EZ loader do?

Gene S. - what is that speed loader and where can I get one?!?

That looks awesome!

Anybody have any suggestions for the 1100 CM? (the grey stock 3 gun machine)

Thanks

George, what do you consider "detergent" motor oil?

I like Mobil 1 --- but that's partly because I always have some around the house.

What does the EZ loader do?

It replaces the function of the carrier release button with a huge chute that makes it easier to stuff rounds into the mag tube.

Anybody have any suggestions for the 1100 CM? (the grey stock 3 gun machine)

Thanks

Slick the action up, add an EZ Loader, and perhaps the sights of your choice, and you're set for Limited/Tactical. For open, add a dot and the brackets/Arredondo Chute to allow you to use speed loaders....

Nik,

Doesn't the CM/Tactical come with the EZ-Loader already installed? I'm probably totally wrong on this.

Texaschase,

As for the Tec-Loaders in Open Division, it's an absolute must. Not only to have them, but to hit them fast!!! Very few people have designed a 'chute' right, but Arredondo's is full proofs. Beven Grams' is PERFECT!

Rich

ETA: Corrosion-X makes my 1100 run haaaaaapy!

Edited by uscbigdawg

Synthetic motor oils are good at not carbonizing at high temps. Detergent oil has anti-caking agents that help prevent carburization. You want BOTH feature sets in a shotgun gas system lube. A synthetic 2stroke oil will do the same job just as well too.

Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec, etc...

• 3 weeks later...

Ok Guy's, here's where I am so farr!

1) I had an EZ loader professionally installed.

2) Even though pricey, I opted for the Briley 8rnd mag extention for a couple of reasons. First, quality fit/finish. Second, the 11.5" 8rnd extention, allows use of a more reasonable barrel length compared to the 17" 10rnd extention wich would actually extend slightly beyond the end of my current 28" tube. As a bonus, I discovered their 8rnd extention, actually allows the gun to accept nine rounds, for a 9+1 capacity.

3) During my initial two trips to the range, this gun has functioned perfectly with the same light hand loads I use in my O/U to shoot skeet and sporting clays with.

I still have not decided wich stock to go with, or what barrel config. I think the 22" barrel used on the 1100 CM might be too short at 1.25" shorter than the magazine extention. I'm currently watching a Hastings 24" barrel on ebay that would extend only 3/4" beyond the end of the mag extention. I still need to look into how much it would cost to have the current barrel chopped to exactly mach the length of the mag-extention, and have chokes installed.

Opinions?

• 6 months later...

I have had terrible trouble making my 1100 run for IPSC. OTOH, my 870 works great and I shoot it very well.

My 1100 limited gun is an OLD 1100 with a big heavy wood stock. I replaced the 30 Inch trap barrel with a 25 inch remington barrell with rem chokes. I also had my smith put an easy loader on it.

After the last match, I bought a composite stock and forend for it and it lightened the gun up considerably. I do not use a sidesaddle. I load out of a shell belt cinched up high on my torso. I put the stock on my shoulder and look down at the follower, grabbing 2 shells at a time. I find the side saddle really unbalances the gun and makes a heavy gun that much heavier.

I have ghost ring sights on my 870 and LOVE them. But on the 1100 I bought a set of Firesights, fibre optic rifle sights, and still have that nice high fiber optic on the front. But the rear broke almost immediately. So i replaced it with some true glo rifle set up that attached to the rib with 4 torx bolts and I have the elevation screw bottomed out making the sight very stable. this setup works. the gun will put four slugs on a teacup at 50 yards.

I've had feeding problems from day one with the choate mag extension. I was RO'ing the shotgun match at summerblast and my partner took my gun apart to look at the follower, noticed it was all chewed up and sure enough, there is a long sharp seam in the choate mag extension. I'm sanding that bad boy down with a dowell jig i made for my drill. I also ordered a green hi viz follower.

The 'combat' bolt handle is too big and i never saw the reason for it. It got yanked out of the gun deer hunting in upstate NY last year. The factory bolt handle is small and hurts your hand when the timer induced adrenaline dump numbs your fine motor skills. So i just paid $26 for one of these from brownells:

260000001.jpg

So far, I broke the link (tuning fork thingy) and the forend support. replaced them at Brownells. Now the feed latch isn't staked, but seems operable as it it is held into place by the trigger plate pin. Anyone know if this is a problem ? Also, The rails along the side of the receiver are sharp as razor blades.

I run my 1100 dry, steel wooling the mag tube and seals after every 250-500 rounds.

All inall, even though I got the gun for $300, I would have been better off to buy a tac 4 or competition master. But hey, if I did that, I wouln't have a box of parts and armorer ecxperience with the 1100. :cheers:

Edited by ALBY