Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drosing A Gun In Fl.

I have yet to hear of this, but I went in a store yesterday to find out what I needed to do to register my guns I bought from auctions, and from this site, but the shop lackey is telling me the seller has to ship through an FFL to his store... When I lived in CA, It was much easier to buy a gun from out of state and have it shipped to whoever it was going to do the private party transfer; NOT an FFL. is this the way it is in FL.? or this shop just being a dick?

...shop lackey is telling me the seller has to ship through an FFL to his store...

The destination must be an FFL, but not the origination. Sometimes a receiving FFL will insist that the shipper go through an FFL, who knows why.

Only one FFL is required, on the receiving end, so that the federal requirements may be met.

i'm not 100% certain but sending a firearm without utilizing a FFL dealer on both ends is a no no. I don't think its a huge no no since quite a few people do it to save cost but still a no no. I think you can find more info on the BATF website. don't quote me on this one. i've encountered a few dealers on this end that will only accept from another FFL dealer. But at the same time, there are a few that don't mind transfers from a private party. I prefer the FFL to FFL transfer so I know each and every step of the purchase process.

Find another FFL. He is being a PITA.

When a firearm goes across state lines, it must be received by a FFL holder in the receiving state. At which point that FFL holder makes sure that all local & federal requiremenst for gun ownership are met and processes the transfer.

FFL's get a special privledge when shipping guns, especially through the USPS.

There is no requirement for the gun to be shipped by a FFL. I have shipped several guns. No one has asked for my FFL. And that is a good thing as I don't have one.

Go on Gunbroker.com and use their FFL search. Find one close. Good luck.

i'm not 100% certain but sending a firearm without utilizing a FFL dealer on both ends is a no no. I don't think its a huge no no since quite a few people do it to save cost but still a no no. I think you can find more info on the BATF website. don't quote me on this one. i've encountered a few dealers on this end that will only accept from another FFL dealer. But at the same time, there are a few that don't mind transfers from a private party. I prefer the FFL to FFL transfer so I know each and every step of the purchase process.

It is perfectly legal to send a firearm to an FFL

You cannot use the USPS But ups or fedex and handguns must go overnight from private partys but FFL can ship usps as slow as they want.

Yes incoming firearm purchase must be recived buy an FFL fedral law requires it.

Theyneed to run the nic's check.To prove you are legal to own a firearm.

You guys are right. I did a google search and its okay for a private party to send to FFL according to BATF.

From the BATF website:

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State? [back]

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b )(3)]

The FFL to FFL requirment is only for the USPS.

Which reminds me of a dealer that charged a seller a premium to ship Next day air and ended up shipping ground via USPS. That sucked......

We got it all figured out. the sellers want proof that the gun is going to an FFL, and everybody keeps asking for a copy of the signed version. All you have to do is go to ATF.COM and click the link for ez check as long as you have the 1st 3 and last 5 of the dealers FFL to make sure all is kosher. Most new stores wont send a private party their signed FFL for the possibility of criminal acts used w their FFL, so most stores are telling private parties to verify through ATF's EZ-Check. this saves a lot of time and protects the retailer's FFL at the same time.

it actually makes a lot of sense and if private parties would just run a check on the above mentioned site, a lot of the hassle and time would be reduced. The other reason dealers wont fax their dealer FFL's is because the faxes arent always ledgable, so they mail them.. another day or 5 before they even get the copy...

Find another FFL. He is being a PITA.

When a firearm goes across state lines, it must be received by a FFL holder in the receiving state. At which point that FFL holder makes sure that all local & federal requiremenst for gun ownership are met and processes the transfer.

FFL's get a special privledge when shipping guns, especially through the USPS.

There is no requirement for the gun to be shipped by a FFL. I have shipped several guns. No one has asked for my FFL. And that is a good thing as I don't have one.

Go on Gunbroker.com and use their FFL search. Find one close. Good luck.

Ok, What is a PITA?

Man, am I glad one of my friends bought a range 7 minutes from my house. When I sold guns earlier this year, he had the buyers dealer fax him their FFL, and then handled the transfer, including paying the priority mail postage (flat rate box) all for a measly $20. Can't beat that service by much....