Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can a gun shoot both Open and Limited?

shooterx10

Can a 1911/2011 frame be made to shoot both open and limited by just switching the top ends and installing a scope mount/scope combo?    

I've seen it done on Glocks where the forward frame rail is used as a scope mounting point and I was wondering if it's possible with the STI, SVI, or Para frames.  And no, I'm not thinking of any slide mounted scopes such as the Doctor, Optima, or C-more slide ride.  I've heard stories where they work for a while and then break down (more for the Doctor and Optima than C-more).

But then again, I've shot an Open gun on a COF and it's a lot more fun than a Limited gun, but then that's my opinion.

What I have seen as far as "convertible top-ends" was a slide with an Optima or Doctor mounted on the slide, not frame.  I'm seriously considering having a smith build me the 2nd slide for open.  I actually just spoke with him about it two days ago, and he said "it is definately do-able".  Yes, the quest for 40 Open continues.

I have an SV, if that matters.

Thanks for the info!  

I notice that SVI makes some pistols with accessory rails under the dust cover.  I think they are used for the installation of tactical lights (Surefire) or lasers.  I would be so cool if someone would develop a scope mount that uses these rails instead of drilling holes into the frame.   However, I wonder if this will affect the weight balance of the gun.  

As I had stated in my opening post, someone (actually several manufacturers now) has developed optics mounts for Glocks by using the accessory rail on the dust cover.  And they are used in GSSF, Bullseye, and IPSC.   So for you inventors, machinists (Johnny Lim), and tinkerers out there, here's an idea!  

OK, can't wait:

Here are some pictures of the Evolutive !  (ie my blaster)

http://tsvclts.free.fr/TECHNIC/Articlejerome/EvolutifUS.htm

It's not the definitive page, we'll add more pics (the magwell is missing) and change the text (grammar, spellcheck,...), but it's a first look.

Thanks to Julien's brother Olivier for his technical help.