Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Sks Shooter's Out There?

thejoe

I have an SKS and am quite pleased with just about every aspect of it. A while back I elected to stick with 30 rd. detachable mags and have been having a hard time finding functional ones. What brand/type do you all use and where should I get them? Secondly, do any of you use this firearm in competition? Thanks in advance.

thejoe

I love my SKS... but, I chose to stick w/ the 10 round fixed mag.. ;) I've never used it in competition, but I could easily use it for playing around in 3-gun. The rifle will shoot 3" at 100 yards with surplus ammo and stock trigger all day long - not enough for serious work, obviously, but...

I refinished the wood when I got it - its a pretty little gun when its got nice looking wood on it... Oh, and I paid $100 for it, NIB, still in Cosmoline (mine's a Norinco, so.... the Russians look real nice, too....)

Can I use an SKS in 3 gun, at least to start?

What's the typical round count on a course of fire?

What's the hardest target you'll have to hit?

I REALLY don't like EBR's (Its a personal thing) But I'd kinda like to try a 3 gun match......

You can use one if you are willing to deal with it's limitations. Go fo it and don't let anything stop you from having fun. An SKS can hack the course if you can shoot it well.

Typical round counts can go from 15-20 round to 36+ on a CQ rifle hoser stage.

Worst target you may come up against will typically be a 10-12 inch steel plate at 300-325 yards. Thats 3-4 MOA and an SKS may not hold that easily. A lot of matches don't get much beyond 200 yards and that same 10-12 inch steel plate is now a 5-6 MOA target. You are probably good to go with an average SKS and decent ammo in this case. Some clubs don't shoot ppast 100 yards and may use reduced targets to keep the shots at 5-6 MOA requirement.

I REALLY don't like EBR's (Its a personal thing) But I'd kinda like to try a 3 gun match......

I've seen a lot of funkier things at some 3-gun matches... it should be fine, especially if the range doesn't go out to 300+ yards.

Every 30 round mag I've tried was perfect in practice and would crap out on me if I really needed it to work. They are also slow to reload.

The only thing close to original was the fixed chinese 20 round mag. I had a couple of these that were reliable with 19 rounds. Now my only surviving SKS has the factory 10 rounder on it and I'd reload with strippers if I shoot it again. Took 12 tries to find this one; it will shoot 2" groups at 100 yards with Russian ammo and iron sights.

I won an outlaw rifle match with this rifle. Bowling pins were the targets and the ARs were zipping through them without knocking them down (Every single shooter was using AP). My Russian HPs were tossing them without a problem. I celebrated the win by buying an AR :wacko: