Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2007 Bay Area Rifle Championship

4 left now!

Stage designs are coming along and should also be posted sometime soon

BTW, remember that if you have registered, but not yet paid the match fee your slot will not be confirmed until you pay. After April 10th we will drop anyone not confirmed and fill their slots in order from the paid regiistrations on the waiting list. You have to pay your match fee to confirm your slot in the match, or on the waiting list.

Refunds are available without any fee right up till April 1st. There will be a $20 administration fee after April 1st and no refunds after the 10th without extenuating circumstances.

Any news on the stage designs?

Gonna' start the prop prep a few weeks out. Will build stages on weekdays the week before and test shoot as needed with "moi" as the test subject (I won't be actually shooting on match day).

The portions of the range needed on Saturday practice will be cleared as required and restoration done Saturday afternoon. I have a couple folks committed to help the week before.

I can always use extra help Saturday after 1pm finishing setup and again late Sunday and possibly Monday morning for teardown and putaway.

Any help is always greatly appreciated :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Update: March 11, 2007

Eight of the nine stage diagrams (stages 1-4 and 6-9) for the 2007 BARC are now posted: 2007 BARC Archives

A number of the stages that were already posted have been modified so check them all out.

The missing stage (stage 5) is a long course. It will consist of 30 rounds on partial Classic Targets from 3 positions at 40-60 yards. This stage diagram will be posted by end of week. Total round count is 142 for semi-auto and 81 for manual action.

Competitor entry and squadding are done and the squad lists and shooting schedule will also be posted by end of week (fighting the flu so I am moving slow this week).

We have decided to extend registration to 60 competitors. As of today (March 11, 2007) there are still four slots available. If you know anyone who wanted to enter, let them know ASAP as these slots will not last long.

Any questions can be emailed to admin@3gunrules.com

• 1 month later...

Update: April 25, 2007

3 slots have become available: If you have not already registered and were thinking of doing so, you now have a second chance! As of 4/23/07 we have received 3 last minute cancellations and these slots are now available. Use the following registration form link to grab a slot and show up at 7am on match day ready to shoot:

http://www.3gunrules.com/barc_2007_registration.php

Revised Stage Descriptions have been posted:

http://www.3gunrules.com/documents/match-a...info/2007-BARC/

Revised Squad & Competitor Lists have been posted:

http://www.3gunrules.com/barc_2007_match_info.php

The match looks to be a fun and challenging one and I hope to get to shoot it if running it gives me half a chance :P

I will be at the range for the rest of the week finalizing setup.

See you all on Sunday :-)

Results and photos from the 2007 Bay Area Rifle Championship are now posted on the USPSA website.

Final Results are available at: http://www.uspsa.org/ in the Local Match Results area. Select Richmond Hot Shots in the club list and click the link for April 29th, 2007.

We chose to use a pistol match format in EZ-Winscore and had to designate the extra pistol divisions to handle the rifle divisions. To decipher the division allocations in the results use the following list:

Open = Semi-Auto Open

Limited = Semi-Auto Standard

Tactical = Semi-Auto Tactical

Limited 10 = Manual Action Open

Revolver = Manual Action Standard

We recognized Cowboy Rifle and Sporting Rifle as special categories and ran them in MAS and MAO respectively because the gear fit nicely within these USPSA rifle division requirements.

Photos I took are available at: http://www.uspsa-photos.org/gallery/

Quickie Match Report:

52 of the best rifle shooters in the region faced 9 stages that were a lot trickier than they looked at first glance and when the dust finally cleared Kelly Neal wound up on top in a hard fought battle against Keith Garcia in Semi-Auto Tactical. Gary Orr bested the field in Semi-Auto Open. Chris Sechiatano absolutely trashed the curve in Semi-Auto Standard. Bradley Oneto drove a Tubb 2K to top honors in Manual Action Open and Richard Wilbur whupped’ up on the rest of the Cowboy Action shooters in Manual Action Standard.

Mr. Murphy was there in full force and and many a competitors mettle was severely strained by various malfunctions, wandering zeros and all the rest of your favorite match demons.

More images, detailed results and a complete expanded after action report will be available later in the week at: http://www.3gunrules.com/

Thanks to all of the competitors who braved perfect weather to make this the most enjoyable match I have ever put on.

I guess I may have to do it again next year :-)

It was a great match. I would highly recommend it to anyone on the west (or east!) coast.

It was by far the most IPSCy (if that's a word) rifle match that I've ever attended in the U.S.: classic targets, a number of short stages, fairly challenging offhand shots, some swingers. It reminded me very much of the Nordic Rifle that I attended last year. I particularly liked the Wall of Paper Pt. 2, Buffy's revenge, Deer Hunter, and the Dirty Dozen Stages. There were generally a few different ways to shoot some the stages (which position? reverse kneeling? prone? when to shoot the swinger?) so the shooter had to make some decisions.

So kudos to George and his staff. Thanks to the Richmond Hotshots for a great match.

Thanks Kelly!

Next year is a go for the last weekend in April again. We will be expanding our manual rifle divisions with some new things in the Cowboy and Sporting rifle categories to make these areas more interesting and competitive. We will also increase the long distance shooting aspect of the match and get a fifth IPSC bay to work on. Guaranteed, it will be an even better match next year!

FYI:

I have just posted a couple hundred additional photos taken at the event by a local photographer (David Wood). They can be viewed here: http://www.3gunrules.com/gallery/index.php...2007_David_Wood

A set of customized final results have also been posted at: http://www.3gunrules.com/documents/match-a...hots/2007_BARC/

Thanks again to all of the competitors who came out and made the 2007 Bay Area Rifle Championship the biggest little rifle match in the west :-)

The match was totally an improvement from last year's by a long margin. Love the short but challenging stages. As usual, George did an outstanding job putting the match together and I have no doubt that next year's will be a notch higher.

Watch out George, your 50 shooter limit might not be enough. I heard a few Tactical (not the division) shooters who shot IPSC style for the first time just got hooked. Expect more shooters at the next Multigun match. Thank you!

One thing that might help with the 50 shooter limit and timing is to stack the short stages on the same bays so you can run the shooter back to back. Our squad did that on the bay 2 stages. We shot the Wall of Paper, then walked the shooter over to shoot Hell-Prez, then scored both. It made things go a lot faster. We could have done the same thing on the bay 3 stages but didn't think of it in time. With the longer rifle stages you can eat up a lot of time just walking back and forth to score, not to mention the time you save LAMR'ing and ULASC'ing.

We are looking at ways to handle up to 100 competitors next year. Stacking the short/simple stages for back to back running will definitely be one of the methods we use.

The target pits worked pretty darned well for scoring paper at distance quickly. We will be doing that again :-)

I also plan on implementing more short range steel to speed re-set time on some of the shorter stages.

The schedule will be tweaked to provide more time per squad on the LD stages which is where we got backed up several times.

Suggestions for improvements and any other ideas are always welcome. Send all correspondence to admin@3gunrules.com

One thing that might help with the 50 shooter limit and timing is to stack the short stages on the same bays so you can run the shooter back to back. Our squad did that on the bay 2 stages. We shot the Wall of Paper, then walked the shooter over to shoot Hell-Prez, then scored both. It made things go a lot faster. We could have done the same thing on the bay 3 stages but didn't think of it in time. With the longer rifle stages you can eat up a lot of time just walking back and forth to score, not to mention the time you save LAMR'ing and ULASC'ing.

+ 1 on that. It made the squad move much more quickly thoruhg the stage.

You might also consider using the pits targets for 2 different stages. One for a standards like stage like you did, and another for a field course. You could have the shooter engage numbers 1,3,5 say from 130 yards or so, from box A, have them shoot some close range stuff set against the side berms and some flash targets down range while advancing down the range, then engage 2,4,6 from closer,...say 75 yards. The guy on the radio could tell the guy in the pits when you leave box A, so he'd pull 1,3,5 and put up 2,4,6. That way you could score the 1,3,5 as disappearing targets (circle mikes) so there wouldn't be so many zeros on the distance targets.

I plan on making greater use of the target pits to enable paper at distance next year, but the only thing that will be easier on them will be the contrast ratio for folks using irons. The difficulty factor will remain a constant and practice on 200 yard paper will be in order ;-)

One thing that has to hold true is strict adherence to the USPSA Rifle rule book for all Semi-Auto and Manual Action divisions. This would preclude any target manipulation that was not 100% consistent for all competitors.

The other issue I have to contend with is the side berms on the rifle ranges can't be shot into for reasons that I do not control, nor do I see changing. I will be able to do some nifty LD stuff on the 100 yard bay though, so we aren't stymied on things of this nature, just re-directed ;-)

• 5 weeks later...