Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Arm Swing

One thing I noticed in Max's instruction on the new 3GM dvd is that he doesn't talk about arm swing between positions, although if you watch matches he does it a lot. Obviously Chris Tilley is a huge fan of arm swing too.

I found that on top of all the improvements that Max's box-to-box techniques are creating for me, that I was keeping both hands on the gun going say 10' laterally. But when I decided to really wham the left arm back [going to the left] this took off another 10th or so. Moving to the right, bringing the gun [mine weighs 3 lbs...] back sharply during the first step really got the momentum going & took even more time off going that way.

A good example if you can't picture it, is Stage 8 - HipHop from the 2003 Supersquad dvd. Of course there are no mag changes needed which makes the big swings possible.

Any fans of arm swing out there?

Max is a big fan of arm swing. having taken a class with max, there is no way he could cover everything he believes in to make a shooter perfect into a DVD that wouldn't last for a whole week.

Max uses as much of his body as he can to get the momentum going in that direction. ( personal note.. be warned of too much momentum, which happens to me at times)

Thanks Steve. Max did cover a ton of material in the time he's on that DVD.

My first few practices after watching it were like, "Okay, here's MY way to do that skill, not gonna shoot off my back foot, here's MY step-out..." but the more I try everything his way, the better the results. Shorter movement times, more stable positions, better/faster shots.

A lot of it is having your balance - the weight on each foot - mapped out ahead of time. Never paid much attention to last-second pivoting of the shoulders or hips before but now it's obvious that being turned around a step ahead of the shooting is a giant help during the shooting.

Eric,

Frank Garcia tought us, for long transitions between targets, to let go of the gun and swing or pump the arm to help the shooter go faster. For the short distances, don't let go of the gun. Pretty much what your are discovering.

• 4 weeks later...