Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winter Training

Bob McGee

Well winter is almost here, and snow can't be far behind. For the next several months I will be basement bound, not all that bad as I have several projects that need attention. I have a question, I would like to ask about training._________________________________ Has anyone tried using a pellet gun, as a training aid? I'm talking about the gun that is a not so close copy of a S&W revolver. In the past I have used pellet guns to improve my slow fire accuracy, and I believe that I benefited from the time spent. Now I am wondering if I could improve my split times, with the use of one of the double action revolver copies? Any input will be appreciated. Bob

Dryfire.

Use a 1/3 size target (you can find a link to them on this sight somewhere). Dryfire has been a huge tool for my improvement. Use a timer, and keep track of things like draw times, El Prez, and reloads. Anderson's book is a fantastic tool, as he has dozens of drills to do with dryfire, and pages to keep track of your times.

Hope this helps,

DM

Dryfire.

Use a 1/3 size target (you can find a link to them on this sight somewhere). Dryfire has been a huge tool for my improvement. Use a timer, and keep track of things like draw times, El Prez, and reloads. Anderson's book is a fantastic tool, as he has dozens of drills to do with dryfire, and pages to keep track of your times.

Hope this helps,

DM

DM,

Thanks for the tip on Andersons Book. I tried to get info about the book on the net with very little luck. It is my understanding that Anderson primarily shot a 1911, so how does he handle dry firing on multiple targets? How applicable are the dry fire drills to a revolver? Thanks again Bob.

Dryfire.

Hope this helps,

DM

DM,

Thanks for the tip on Andersons Book. I tried to get info about the book on the net with very little luck. It is my understanding that Anderson primarily shot a 1911, so how does he handle dry firing on multiple targets? How applicable are the dry fire drills to a revolver? Thanks again Bob.

He handles multiple targets by pressiing the trigger on each target although there is no hammer fall after the first one.

The drills are totally applicable to a revolver, if you shoot IPSC/IDPA/Steel or any game that needs the basics of practical shooting. And in the practical games, it's the basics that matter - little things like first shot from holster, target aquisition, transitions from target to target, learning to see quickly, etc. And in dry firing the revolver has a tremendous advantage, you are actually using the actual trigger pull each time. Make sure you have a timer to use in your dry fire sessions.

I haven't considered a pellet gun, but I thought these looked fun

Rubber Bullets

They do look fun, grab a few friends some piantball masks and go for it!

That seems to me to be a totally unsafe recommendation. Real gun and you want to run around pointing and shooting at real people? Way wrong thing to do.

i've got a box of x-ring rubber bullets from midway. they said to drill the primer holes oversize, and they mean it. the gun will lock right up! mark the cases, too, so you don't load them with real bullets. I drilled some too big and the inside of the primer was getting shot out. primers are real dirty, and the bullets shoot very low and not too accurate, but they're fun for practicing, especially draws. i've taught gun handling to a couple new people with them - low noise, low kick, low danger, real gun. you can make a trap out of a cardboard box, some old towels, and rods to hang them with. make sure to practice over a good backstop, in case you screw up.

Rubber Bullets

That seems to me to be a totally unsafe recommendation. Real gun and you want to run around pointing and shooting at real people? Way wrong thing to do.

Very true Viggen, I have put a wax bullet through cardboard at 20 yards while doing quick draw stuff with just the primer and the wax bullet. And, no that was not the target I shootng at.

Rubber Bullets

Actually it was a joke, not a reccomendation. I forgot the smiley. :)

The police were training at our range a few weeks ago and they were firing the non lethal big foam bullets that look like rounds from grenade launchers. I jokingly asked the instructor if they had ever fired then at each other to see what they were like. He laughed and said that would just plain be stupid. OTOH I have seen footage of them shooting themselves with tazers.

BTW Ever hear of simuntions?