Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hk Usp Expert .40 For Production?

half inch groups

I notice a lot of people shooting glocks in production. I dont own a glock, but I would think my HK would make a perfect production gun, as it hasnt had a single malfuction since I bought it a year ago. (fired 4500 rds before the first cleaning to test the reliabilityI figure most people who shoot glocks shoot em for the reliability, as the Glock feels funny in my hands, and I feel my expert is like a hopped up G-35 with a nice trigger and an actual hammer. I'm not knocking glock or xd's, I just dont hear much about HK used by anyone in matches and have to ask, why not? thanks for any input!

I shoot a .40 USP Expert in L10. I agree that it's a heck of a gun, never a single malfunction here. As mentioned it's not on the list for production guns. I don't think the high bore axis is as big of deal as people make it out to be. I can't tell any difference although I'm just a new D-level shooter.

I went with the Expert for several reasons:

I'm an HK fan :)

My carry gun is a P2000SK and I wanted something with similar controls and a similar feel, but a longer sight radius.

I can add the jetfunnel mag well and go up to Limited later on.

No SA in Pro.

DA on first shot.

The rules separate the divisions distinctly, which is why they make sense. You should read the rulebook, it is an actual book. Once you think about them as a whole, the rules really take many variables out of the game, that would bring play to a halt if it was "run what ya brung", give yourself more time to understand the system.

I use a USP Stainless with match trigger and Adjustable PSI fibre optic sights (basically, a Custom sport) in 9mm for production division. IT is an extremely reliable pistol. 8000rds before my first jam (very dirty mag which had some sticky crap on it)

I was going to get an Expert in .40 with jet funnel and mags to compete in standard (L10?), but I have decided to go with and STI Edge, as they are reportedly very reliable and have the extra weight (at least 10oz ) more than an Expert.

I have 2 S_i's now and they are the bees knees but I cant shoot production w em. My HK is the the most accurate and reliable of my collection though. Will shoot my kimber .45 and be done with it. I guess I have work to do to my S_I's because I am noticing feeding issues. maybe its my loads. I will try seating the bullets a little higher and see if that fixes the problem. + after about 300 rds. My gun gunks up and just chambering a round can be a problem.

No SA in Pro.

DA on first shot.

The USP Expert is DA/SA (decocker), or cocked-and-locked, operators choice.

My expert came with a bobbed hammer and a detent plate that makes it SA only (I haven't installed them, I shoot L10 anyhow). The instructions said it was needed to fit in "the box" for IPSC. I don't believe USPSA has such restrictions though?

I have 2 S_i's now and they are the bees knees but I cant shoot production w em. My HK is the the most accurate and reliable of my collection though. Will shoot my kimber .45 and be done with it.

If the Kimber is a single action, it's not allowed in Production, either (if that's what you meant).

I guess I have work to do to my S_I's because I am noticing feeding issues. maybe its my loads. I will try seating the bullets a little higher and see if that fixes the problem. + after about 300 rds. My gun gunks up and just chambering a round can be a problem.

How long are you loading them now?

• 1 month later...

It's not an Expert, but I have been shooting my HK USP .40 in both Productions USPSA and Stock Service Pistol in IDPA. It has been a great gun. I have had a few malfuntions, mostly from WWB ammo. Once I started reloading my own I have gone 10K+ rounds and no malfunctions. It is my carry gun as well. I couldn't be happier.