Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Grandfather Clock To Get?

Hi again esteemed assemblage,

Yes, I know, it is way off the topic of guns, but I figured if the folks here have good taste in guns, they also have good taste in other mechanical things like clocks.

Any particular brands to look for?

Any brands to stay away from?

How about features?

Thanks,

Chills

PS: this is a wedding present my sister is buying for her son and new daughter in law.

Based on longevity, I can recommend Ridgeway (bought Christmas 1979 and still running) and Sligh (bought Mothers Day 1991 and still running). Both are beautiful clocks and with pendulum adjustments, keep good time.

Over time you will get used to the music played, but for the sake of overnight guests, make sure your selection has the option to turn off the chimes at night.

As a side note, our clocksmith always asks "how's your cat". We have two house cats and through the years their hair floating in the air slowly accumulates in the mechanism. Both clocks are kept closed but with time it does accumulate.

The clocksmith always want to "upgrade" the works rather than clean, but I want to keep them original as long as possible.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Thanks Bill for your response. She said today that she had picked something out. A local furniture store carries the Ridgeway line. Another store carries Howard Miller.

Good point about being able to shut the clock off at night.

I grew up in a house with a chiming clock and now find it difficult to sleep without the chimes.

My current clock cannot be silenced but the house guests tend to find that learning to sleep with the cats that inevitably find them more distracting than the clock so few have said anything about the clock. :D

• 2 weeks later...