Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Too Much Crimp?

galt11

I have been loading 45 ACP for a while now but need a second opinion on something. recently I noticed after a couple of jams, that rounds being fed into the chamber were being pushed into the case a little more than before they were fed. As a result I tightened down the crimp die on my Dillon a little. now however I am seeing the bullet is being compressed a little where the bullet is in the case and possibly grows a little (mushrooms) above where the brass meets the bullet. When I mic'd the bullet I notice a thousandth difference smaller. Is this normal or ok? Thanks

Adam

Check your sizing die...crimp doesn't prevent bullet set back, sizing creates the neck tension. In fact, overcrimping can promote set back as it can cause the brass to bulge just below the neck...crimp to .469-471 on 45acp.

/Bryan

.470" is on the tight side by a couple thousandths. I want to see .472-.473" on mine, and if it is a little over it isn't a big deal as long as the gun runs. I won't go under .472" for any reason.

Like the Canuck said, resistance to setback is entirely done in the sizing die. Nothing you do after sizing will help prevent setback.

Different game but same idea...everybody shooting Bullseye that I know of crimps to at least 471 and 469 is probably the norm...mind you, that's all for lead whether, swaged or hardcast.

/Bryan

Edited by Canuck-IL

Sorry I should have mentioned I was using 185 gr. Montana Gold JHP.

Adam

The setback is not happening during the loading process. It happens when the round is driven into the chmber of the gun. If I understand things correctly, the other dies shouldn't affect the bullet. If you mean that the sizing die is opening the body of the brass too much below the bullet and them not closing it back down, I guess that might be it. Am still a little lost.

Adam