Front Sight

srf

From the USPSA bylaws:

USPSA Bylaws 3 Adopted on 10-1-05

4.13 Termination of Membership:

The membership of any member may be terminated without return of dues

i.) upon written request of the member,

ii.) upon the death or dissolution of the member,

iii.) upon ratification of suspension from membership by vote of the Board of Directors, with or

without cause, after the member has received notice and has had an opportunity to be heard by

the Board of Directors.

The President or the Board of Directors may suspend any member should they determine that the member

has, or is likely to, by his acts or omissions bring discredit to the corporation.

A member will be sent written notification of such suspension to the last known address in the corporate

database. Such notification must include notice of the member’s right to a review of the action by the

Board of Directors as described in this article and the member’s right to appear at such review.

The Board will be notified of a member suspension immediately.

i.) In the event that the member fails to respond to the written notification of suspension within

thirty days of the date of such notification, the Board will terminate the member’s membership

without further notice.

ii.) A suspended member may request a review of the suspension by the Board of Directors. All

requests must be submitted in writing, stating the reasons why the decision should be reversed.

Requests shall be mailed to the national office with a copy to the Director for the Area

concerned and to the President. The Board of Directors shall review all of the relevant facts

concerning such suspended member's status and render a decision within 30 days after the

review. The decision of the Board of Directors shall be final and binding.

As risk-averse as the USPSA BOD is, I can tell you that it has to a pretty extraordinary set of circumstances for the BOD to suspend/terminate someone's membership.

Edited by EricW

It doesn't seem the BOD has any responsibility to document their evidence or justify their decision either. No oversight and no checks or balances.

If there are lawsuits involved, the prudent course for the organization would be not to comment on pending litigation ---- I'm pretty sure the lawyers on the board would back me on that.

As to oversight and checks and balances, we (the membership) have those --- they're called elections.

I'm not surprised the BOD doesn't post their "evidence". It's not a court and frankly, if I'm getting kicked out, I really don't want the other 15,000 members to know what an idiot I was. (not speaking for anyone else, but I'm sure if they kick me out, it'll be because I did something really wrong). I know of one person that was kicked out of USPSA. Part of the reason was that he was kicked out of a local club (for a number of reasons) and instead of shooting at a number of other clubs that would have him, he called in a fake bomb threat to the range during the middle of a big match. He was arrested and convicted and then kicked out. That to me is a person that I don't think has a place in USPSA.

The blanket authority that the BOD has is actually pretty necessary. It allows them to act immediately in order to keep the sport safe for the rest of us. 8 voting directors plus the president seems like a pretty substantial safeguard against impropriety to me.

+1 EricW

If you've ever been involved in any organization as a director (rod and gun club or the like), you know that by and large, the majority of directors have the best interest of the organization at heart. There's always one or two people that are/cause problems but all-in-all, decisions are made by consenses; good, bad, or indifferent. And politics is ever-present, like it or not.

You elect good people and hope for the best. A vigorous organization like USPSA has had good representation via the BOD overall, the past few years. God knows it's a thankless job that's a whole lot more work than play. As long as all monies are accounted for - I trust that our BOD makes decisions for the the good of USPSA. If I didn't feel this way, I'd certainly have the opportunity to run for office.

Not to drift the thread too much - but the lack of participation by rank and file members in IDPA at the BOD level is a big obstacle for the growth of that organization. Although, it is a .com and not a .org. So it's a matter of 'you pay your money, you take your chances'. At least in USPSA we have the option.

Didn't the BOD suspend a shooter a few years ago for tossing a Loaded pistol over the berm??

Or did I imagine that??

:blink:

:huh:

:wacko:

I hope that is imagined, I don't want to be a part of that reality.

That's why I asked, I seem to remember that happening, a few years ago, but I'm not really sure!!

But I do agree with you, I do not want to be part of that reality either!!