Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magnum Pistol Primers Vs Standard

ks-shooter

Does this sound crazy to anyone else but me.

I accidently went from Magnum Pistol Primers to regular pistol primers (all Winchester) and my 40 s&w loads changed from making minor to missing by 50 fps!!

I am new to the USPSA scene and the reloading arena. I thought I had found a nice 40 load. 2.9 Clays, 180 Berry's RS, seated at 1.12...worked great-130PF. Then I ran out of the primers that came with my "used loader deal" and purchased Winchester primers. These were brass color instead of silver. Loaded around 100 rounds and since I live in the country, went out the back door and chrono'd the loads. My XD Tactical would not cycle the rounds even with the 15 pound spring that I installed, Failure to eject, Failure to feed...I had no idea that a primer could make this difference. Anyone else ever experience this much change or should I question my press or powder scale?

:wacko:

I accidently went from Magnum Pistol Primers to regular pistol primers (all Winchester) and my 40 s&w loads changed from making minor to missing by 50 fps!!

I am new to the USPSA scene and the reloading arena. I thought I had found a nice 40 load. 2.9 Clays, 180 Berry's RS, seated at 1.12...worked great-130PF. Then I ran out of the primers that came with my "used loader deal" and purchased Winchester primers. These were brass color instead of silver. Loaded around 100 rounds and since I live in the country, went out the back door and chrono'd the loads. My XD Tactical would not cycle the rounds even with the 15 pound spring that I installed, Failure to eject, Failure to feed...I had no idea that a primer could make this difference. Anyone else ever experience this much change or should I question my press or powder scale?

I have never tried magnum primes but I might now my Xd won't work under 145 pf with a 16# spring

My load is 3.2 tite group 1.125 seat and 185 percision molys

I have never tried magnum primes but I might now my Xd won't work under 145 pf with a 16# spring

Maybe KS-shooter is on to something with those WSPM! I fired probably 20rnds of almost that exact same load that KS-shooter loaded and it cycles my stock sprung XD 40 Tactical.

3.2 TG, 180 Berry's RS, 1.125 OAL, w/WSPM and a stock XD spring (22#?)

Edited by KSmoker

Maybe KS-shooter is on to something with those WSPM! I fired probably 20rnds of almost that exact same load that KS-shooter loaded and it cycles my stock sprung XD 40 Tactical.

3.2 TG, 180 Berry's RS, 1.125 OAL, w/WSPM and a stock XD spring (22#?)

Stock is 18#'s

3.2 should be right around 140-150 pf mark.3.0 with my 16# spring the brass kinda just dribbles out

If I could get down to the 130 mark without slide lightening I would stick out another year in production thinking L10 though major scoring really helps my lazy follow up shots

I thought the stock spring on the Tactical was 22#. I guess I need to check that. With TG I used 3.5TG to get the 140-150PF (averaged exactly 145) again Magnum primer. Scale problem?

I still like the slower/softer feel of the Clay's although I know I cannot use it to make any Major loads. The brass does better than dribble out, but it does not go far. I use a Wolff progressive 15# spring. 14# works, but can still come out of battery a little too easily.

Edited by ks-shooter

I thought the stock spring on the Tactical was 22#. I guess I need to check that. With TG I used 3.5TG to get the 140-150PF (averaged exactly 145) again Magnum primer. Scale problem?

I still like the slower/softer feel of the Clay's although I know I cannot use it to make any Major loads. The brass does better than dribble out, but it does not go far. I use a Wolff progressive 15# spring. 14# works, but can still come out of battery a little too easily.

I been using the straight rate sprinco 16 or 18 wolf.

I will got back and check my load date I never tried clays tite group is so cheap and I use in both 40 and 45 I tried universal but it won't burn in minor loads leaves tons flakes

[i been using the straight rate sprinco 16 or 18 wolf.

I will got back and check my load date I never tried clays tite group is so cheap and I use in both 40 and 45 I tried universal but it won't burn in minor loads leaves tons flakes

Clays shoots "soft". It is a push. I believe the Magnum primer must help with the burning of the powder. I do not have flakes left. I got TG because my son wanted a snappier minor load. Clays is also cheap when used with Magnum primers I was only using 2.9 and the cost was comparable to TG. Maybe 10% more because of the 14oz bottle.

By the way, Nice video link. :)

I've seen a difference of 5 pf between Fed Mag and regular Fed primers using all the same

stuff (same charge of Titegroup, Starline brs, Zero 125 JHP, 38 spcl)

I've seen a difference of 8-10 pf from new/once fired to 10+ loadings of Starline brass.

And yes, I have seen a difference between primers.

When you change a component always re-check your "stuff" (I learned the hard way :unsure: )

I've seen a difference of 5 pf between Fed Mag and regular Fed primers using all the same

stuff (same charge of Titegroup, Starline brs, Zero 125 JHP, 38 spcl)

I've seen a difference of 8-10 pf from new/once fired to 10+ loadings of Starline brass.

And yes, I have seen a difference between primers.

When you change a component always re-check your "stuff" (I learned the hard way :unsure: )

Dave, thanks for the "you are not the first one to do that" comment. I just thought a primer was a primer. I am learning. Hopefully, without any true pain...... B)

On my old minor 40 production load---3.2 N310 under a 180, OAL 1.140, I noticed an

increase of maybe 10 fps when I went from WSP to WSPM primers. The thing that was

more interesting was that my extreme spread reduced by about 75%. I suspect that

the WSPM primers give a more consistent ignition.

On my old minor 40 production load---3.2 N310 under a 180, OAL 1.140, I noticed an

increase of maybe 10 fps when I went from WSP to WSPM primers. The thing that was

more interesting was that my extreme spread reduced by about 75%. I suspect that

the WSPM primers give a more consistent ignition.

I think you are right, I kept reading how Clays in a minor .40 made for some excessive spreads speed wise. We didn't notice much of a spread beyond what Tite Group had while using the Clays with the WSPM primers.

Barry, thanks for the input. That makes me feel better because that is very close to the change I experienced. B)

Well, Open17, it looks like my son (KSmoker) answered your response for me while I was away. He is the TG shooter and I will stay with the Clay's loads. Thanks for the input.

Edited by ks-shooter