Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Short Chambers And Reamers

cking

I'm waiting for my Reamer to come in from Brownells for my new Nowlin barrel, I bought the special reamer for the Nowlin barrel.

What is best procedure for finishing the shallow chamber. please don't say put it in your lathe cause I ain't got one. Do have good drill press.

As comments appreciated

Thanks

Ream by hand with the barrel vertical in the vise. Turn the reamer only in the cutting direction, do not reverse it. The reamer plus handle can be a bit heavy, combined with the cutting oil, so take care to control things (with respect to carefully turning the reamer and not letting all the weight push it too deep into the chamber).

Guy

Hello: I set the barrel up vertically in a vise as well even though I have a lathe. Light cuts is what you need to do and checking the depth very often. I also use a marker to mark the reamer to see how deep the cut is going. You can also make a stop for the reamer by using a piece of metal that slips over the reamer and locks with a setscrew. This will give you a positive stop. Just go slow and use lots of cutting oil and check often. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric