Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training Dvd's & Books For New Uspsa Shooter

Brendan M

I just finished an intro to practical shooting class at my local gun club. Every one was great and I had a good time. I’m going to start shooting USPSA matches in my area.

Not to knock the instructor, but he recommended a couple of DVD’s that just happened to be by friends of his and sold at my local club. While I will never fault a business for having a profit motive it occurred to me that there are probably a fair number of DVDs and books out there.

Seeing as healthy debate seems to be a regular part of this forum my question to everyone is, what is the best instructional DVD and/or book to purchase to begin to improve one's skills for USPSA matches?

I have no formal pistol training. I did shoot 35 A's and 1 B out of 36 on the two easy stages we shot at the end of class.

Matt Burket DVD's are an excellent resource My Webpage

Book wise, my preferences are in this order...

Practical Shooting Beyond the Fundamentals-Brian Enos

Thinking Practical Shooting-Saul Kirsch

Refinement and Repetition-Steve Anderson

Others will have others...all will build a firm foundation for your shooting :D

I also have the Burkett videos

Perfect Practice by Saul Kirsch

The one that has helped me the most being a fairly new competitor not shooter is Steve Anderson's book. It gave me structure to my dryfire routine and after 2 months I saw a definite improvement and actually have won my division a couple of times in local matches. Once I started learning with Steve's book some of the things I read in Brian's book started becoming clearer. Brian's book is the one that the more you learn the more you learn from his book.

Matt Burket DVD's are an excellent resource My Webpage

Book wise, my preferences are in this order...

Thinking Practical Shooting-Saul Kirsch

Others will have others...all will build a firm foundation for your shooting :D

The new '3GM' video that Saul has out is also VERY good. It is interesting to see the similarities and differences in technique between three different shooters all covering the same aspect of the game.

+ whatever # to the above, all superb.

Other resources:

Matt Burkett has a decent basic manual out for the shooter just starting in IPSC. It's not too dear, and our host carries it.

Jerry Barnhart has a whole series of videos/dvds out that helped me a lot. It's older, but still has a lot of useful info.

All the above get into the concrete advice on technique, equipment and drills. But if you're looking ahead, looking beyond the basics, then get BE's Beyond Fundamentals, Larry Basham's With Winning in Mind, and Saul Kirsch's second book, Thinking Practical Shooting. They'll get you beyond the strictly mechanical and physical aspects of the sport.

That especially applies to Brian's book. Like many, every time I reread it (and I've done so five or six times) I learn more.

• 3 weeks later...

The list wouldn't be complete without mentioning

Jerry Miculek's Ultimate Advanced Revolver.

Covers basics such as grips and reloads all the way to keeping the cylinder turning between targets. A VERY good resource for wheelgun lovers.

Of course, all of the above still apply :) .

I still think the Burner's series of tapes is the best work done breaking everything down. This and Brians book would be my first purchases if I was starting out again....Actually I might just get the Burner tapes anyways since I AM starting out again :D