Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Tupperwear

ej45

I am picking up my first SV blaster from my smith and i have always owned steel guns.  Can you hose down the frame of a SV widebody with brake-clean, gun scrub, or electrical cleaner?  How do you clean your blaster?

thanks ej45

I agree with Loves2Shoot. I'd rather be pulling the trigger than cleaning the gun! That said,all I do is field strip and wipe off all the powder residue on the slide and frame, reoil, and put back together for next time!

Just my opinion, and what I am comfortable with.

Hope it helped,

Ray C. ;)

ej45

My 2 pennies-

I inspect the gun after every outing - range time or match - by removing the top end , and visually inspect it. Also, think about how it ran, did it have any problems like failure to feed or eject? On my gun, these are signs of dirt.

Remember - a clean gun is a happy gun. The gunsmith or factory did not send it to you full of powder residue and copper/lead.  So pay attention to how it is running and it will tell you if it wants a bath.

As for cleaning the lower end, I wipe the rails and surfaces with a rag to remove all the slideglide and such.

Next, a small rag through the grip where the mag goes to clean out any dirt and that is about it.

Relube the frame and rails of the slide and back togeather it goes.

I wipe down and re-lubricate after every range session.  And hose out the frame and the slide assy. with brake cleaner after about every 300 rounds and re lubricate.

Haven't had any problems from this method.

Paul

I clean and lube mine (completely) about every 3K rounds.  Between matches, I brush off the breech-face and extractor.  I have noticed with slide glide that everything wipes clean very easily (I practice with lead and shoot matches with jacketed).  I do wipe my ramp clean everytime I shoot just because I do not want to take any chances with any feed problems.  As for the grip, when I take the gun down completely, I scrub it with soap and water to get the Pro-grip and grime off of it.  

Here's a thought - has anyone thought about puting a light film of slide glid on the feed ramp?  Would it improve feeding or hinder it?  Later.

Jack

Geez, I feel guilty now.... I "clean" my gun every 1000 rds or so, I'd guess..... and I've never resorted to brake cleaner. Just wipeoff the old goo, wipe on the new lube, make sure the barrel isn't fouled, and throw it back together.  30,000 rds later on my open gun, its still chuggin' (and tight).  

I do try to clean the pistol before every major match as well, but NEVER during - if its not broke, don't fix it.

Oh, and just for the record, Glocks are considered "tupperware" - mainly because they come in those "tupperware" like containers. I don't consider all guns that have some plastic on them tupperware, especially S_I guns. Blasphemy!

(Edited by shooter40 at 11:48 am on Mar. 10, 2003)

(Edited by shooter40 at 11:49 am on Mar. 10, 2003)

Jack,

I find putting anything on the feed ramp works good for a few rounds, but most lubes tend to attract the powder residue. What I find that seems to work best in my guns is to keep the feed ramp polished (dremel tool :) ) This method seems to attract the least amount of powder residue while giving a good slipery surface for the bullet.

Bore snake thru magwell cleans up feedramp real nice at the range, and even removes some crud from the bbl. at the same time.                     Travis F.

Everyone has diffrent methods for cleaning their guns. we all agree that they should be cleaned ever so often. but that is besides the point..... The term "tupperwear" should be reserved for certain austiran line of guns  

(Edited by TheOtherErik at 1:33 pm on Mar. 10, 2003)

I've used brake or carb cleaner on every gun I own - metal or plastic.

It is was it is - I hate cleaning the things and that stuff makes it go quick.

JB