Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Storing My Guns For Several Months

gunner40sw

I am presently in the process of moving but the new house will not be ready for several months. I had the safe brought up from my basement and will have it stored with all my firearms in a friends garage. I was thinking of oiling them up really good and putting them in as many cases as I have and returning them to the safe. Should I do more or will this be enough? I live in the midwest so it will be cold in the winter and warm in the summer. And am I glad I hired some pros to move the safe it took four guys to build a platform to make the turn and get it up the stairs.

T

You should be fine if you lube everything inside and out with a quality lube.

The military uses Break Free or Cosmoline for long tearm storage but Cosmoline is real nasty stuff.

I know people who have coated firearms with Mobil 1 and wraped them in seran (sp) wrap and stored them for several years with no ill effects

I perfer dry type moisture displacing lubes.

A goldenrod dehumidifyer would help even more if your friend has an extra plug in his garage

I live near Houston, possibly the humidity capital of the United States. Consider installing a Goldenrod or similar dehumidifier to your gunsafe. The Goldenrod is designed for safes, uses very little electricity, and does an excellent job of protecting your firearms.

A good cleaning to add a level of protection against fingerprints, etc possibly left on the metal combined with the dehumidifier, you are all set.

Bill

I live in a very foggy area in the Pacific Northwest right on the coast. I use two Goldenrods in my safe and keep all exposed metal coated with Boeshield T9 if it will sit in the safe for more than a few days without getting used. If I won't touch it for longer than a year, I slop a coat of motor oil on all metal surfaces and leave oil in the bore/chamber.