Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuning Sv Magazines

penman53

I have heard the there is a possiblility of new SVI/SV magazines not functioning well out of the box. Can someone tell me:

1. So SVI and STI magazines interchange?

2. What is the process to tune up a stock magazine.

3. Anyone know a vendor who sells the magazines?

Thanks, I have already looked at Speed Shooters International, they seem pretty reasonable.

thanks again, Mark

Mark,

This topic has been beaten to death, you can do a quick search and read for hours.

For the most part, you can buy SV tubes (from SV or Speed Shooters) and get Grams guts and you are ready to go. I have 30+ magazines and have not had a single magazine that needed to be "tuned" by anybody after installing the Grams guts in them. I would say that the vast majority of magazines work acceptably well with factory guts if kept clean and with fresh springs.

Good luck,

Leo

Mark,

This topic has been beaten to death, you can do a quick search and read for hours.

For the most part, you can buy SV tubes (from SV or Speed Shooters) and get Grams guts and you are ready to go. I have 30+ magazines and have not had a single magazine that needed to be "tuned" by anybody after installing the Grams guts in them. I would say that the vast majority of magazines work acceptably well with factory guts if kept clean and with fresh springs.

Good luck,

Leo

Leo -- I'm in kinda the same boat as Mark, and I have done a search, but still not certain...

Anyway, my question to you (or anyone) is this: I have a 2011 being built that I can only assume some day I'll get. <grin> At any rate, in the meantime I bought 4 new STI 140mm mags, and then some +1 Dawson pads from the classifieds.

I've read about people tumbling the tubes, and polishing the mags in and out with various things, and...well how much of that is necessary? If it's a "must-do" I don't mind using the time now, to knock out a mag here and there...If it's a "maybe-do" I guess I might as well just wait and see if I have problems?

19 reloadable would be just fine.

Leo -- I'm in kinda the same boat as Mark, and I have done a search, but still not certain...

Anyway, my question to you (or anyone) is this: I have a 2011 being built that I can only assume some day I'll get. <grin> At any rate, in the meantime I bought 4 new STI 140mm mags, and then some +1 Dawson pads from the classifieds.

I've read about people tumbling the tubes, and polishing the mags in and out with various things, and...well how much of that is necessary? If it's a "must-do" I don't mind using the time now, to knock out a mag here and there...If it's a "maybe-do" I guess I might as well just wait and see if I have problems?

19 reloadable would be just fine.

Boo,

I think that it is more cosmetic thing than anything else but it certainly will not hurt if done properly. I think that the majority of mags will work fine as delivered but many folks have to find a way to "improve" stuff, even when it already works. As I already mentioned, I am a fan of Grams guts and believe that 99.9% of all magazines will work fine once they have his spring and follower kit installed. That is about the best thing that you can do to enhance the reliability and function of your mags.

Leo

I'm curious how tubes (with Grams guts and basepads) that only hold 19 rounds are modified by 'smiths to hold 20 rounds. I've measured the external dimensions of the 19 rounders and found them to be smaller than the 20 rounders, but there's no obvious way to bend and entire magazine tip to tail to make it fatter.

I suspect many 'smiths have a die they press mags into to expand them (or compress them) as needed. Seems like the obvious way to save time. Anyone know for sure how to perform this task?

I can tweak feed lips for reliability myself, but expanding mag tubes is out of my ability.

So do they actually take some taper off the mag, or would this die just make sure the mag is dead on "spec".

Makes me glad I'm running a .40 Para where 20 reloadable is nothing, and 21+1 (I wouldn't want to reload these under pressure) is a reality just by adding Dawson extensions. I wonder if anyone has tried for 22+1.

My Glock 35 was another story.....A much more unpleasant story. Out of 21 mags (12 with extensions), I have 4 that hold 20+1 and are reliable with minor loads. Again, I wouldn't want to reload to these. The rest are good to go with 19+1, which is fine for reloads.

Take a look at the Grams 4mm basepads. The tubes may need some minor fittin on the top at the back of the feed lips to fit into the gauge or they may drop in. The 4mm pads take full advantage of the 141.5mm length that the gauge allows. That coupled with the Grams guts give you the best chance of 20 round capacity. Don't put the 4mm pads on and assume that mag will fit into the gauge, you need to check.

These days the factory mags from SV are checked for spec with a go-no go gauge. My original 10 year old SV mags had some problems. They new ones were so good that I took the old ones back and Pat (@ SV) checked them and found they were not to specs. They were easily put into spec and now work fine with the orginal follower and that original plastic base pad (with 18 rounds). I've had some STIs that were great and some that weren't.

Mick

A27257