Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Improving Target Transition And Speed

Bear23

I'm working with my girl friend and trying to get her to speed up her transitions and speed.

I'm having her do 3 targets at 10 yards and 3 yards apart. 2 shots each. Her draw is in the 1.45 range and her splits are in the .36-.4 range. Her transistion time is .56 from target to target.

I'm trying to get her transitions sped up, having her snap her focus to the next target. But can't seem to close the gap.

I'll have her do the same drill with hardcover on the targets to focus on sight picture and calling her shots which does seem to help when she goes back to wide open targets.

Any tips to get her to call her shots and improve transition times?

I'm working with my girl friend and trying to get her to speed up her transitions and speed.

I'm having her do 3 targets at 10 yards and 3 yards apart. 2 shots each. Her draw is in the 1.45 range and her splits are in the .36-.4 range. Her transistion time is .56 from target to target.

I'm trying to get her transitions sped up, having her snap her focus to the next target. But can't seem to close the gap.

I'll have her do the same drill with hardcover on the targets to focus on sight picture and calling her shots which does seem to help when she goes back to wide open targets.

Any tips to get her to call her shots and improve transition times?

Dry fire and the timer...

For transition practice at home I put 2-4 page markers or post-it notes on the wall at different distances and heights. I do draws on them and do transitions on them (i.e. head snap, eye snap, followed by gun). I will also transition from one to another then reload and transition to a 3rd. All this is done with a safe and empty weapon of course.

Have her slow down.... eeexxxxtttrrreeeemmmmmmeeeeelllllyyyyyyy sssssssllllllooooooowwwwwwwwwwww.

Have her draw slow, fire slow, focus on the front sight for each and every shot slow and transition slow while keeping her focus on the front site during the entire transition so when she's on target she's ready for the shot to break. Have her repeat 25 times or so.

Then have her start ssssllloowwww and only speed up and "snap" the transitions but fire all shots slow motion. First target sssslllooowwwww, SNAP, 2nd target ssssllllllooowww, SNAP, etc for 25 or so runs.

Then have her speed up to her 90% A hit speed.

... and then the most important ingredient to speeding up: Practice frequently over a long period of time.