Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Discontinued Millett Sight

Steelshooter3

After reading Carmoney's posts expounding the virtues of the plain Millett rear sight (.360), I decided to purchase one along with an EGW fiber optic front sight from Brownells.

Yesterday the front sight arrived but on the packing list was a message that the rear sight I wanted had been discontinued by the factory :( . It was a N-frame rear sight - post '74. If you got 'em-hoard 'em :ph34r: . I've looking at the LPA sight right now. Looks like a good sight - more expensive. The only thing I don't like is the rear notch is kind of shallow and I prefer a deeper, wider notch. Any suggestions?

The rear notch on the LPA is sort of a "medium" if compared to the S&W factory stuff. And that we also consider to be a bit "shallow" to our taste. Now if someone comes up with a deep notch blade for the LPA, that would be a supurb rear sight to consider.

Anyone seen anything like that?

They might have discontinued one model. But at one time they had one you "Drilled" your own hole in. Call them and find out for sure. Actually Millet themselves will probably work with you. They've been pretty understanding when I fouled up one of their sights.

Or "gasp" try the Weigand. Heck S&W makes a tall blade also.

Hold the phone.

If the front edge of the rear sight is straight across (like on a 25-2), order 601-502-384. You'll have to drill the hole, as pskys2 notes above, but that's no big deal. If it's rounded (like on most 625s), order 601-503-364. Both are in stock in Montezuma and ready to roll.

Edited by Carmoney

Hold the phone.

If the front edge of the rear sight is straight across (like on a 25-2), order 601-502-384. You'll have to drill the hole, as pskys2 notes above, but that's no big deal. If it's rounded (like on most 625s), order 601-503-364. Both are in stock in Montezuma and ready to roll.

There's not many revolver sights to choose from. :(

And getting less by the day :blink: the -364 is listed as "dropped by the factory" also :angry:

The .360 White Outline version is still available in the drill it yourself category, 601-502-382

I just went and compared a new style sight with an old style and it looks like there's enough

material left to drill a hole for the older model's screw hole. So if you need/want a 410 blade

on an older S&W that may be option.

The LPA's are nice, but for the older smiths you'd have to drill the frame, okay for

a beater/comp revo I guess but I'd rather drill a sight than a frame

Bowen's got a "Rough Country" rear sight out there also, as pricey as the LPA (more I think ??) but that's another option.

Guess I'm going to have to spend more time at the parts tables at the next few gun shows :mellow:

And getting less by the day :blink: the -364 is listed as "dropped by the factory" also :angry:

Hold the phone again. They might have dropped it in the flat-front version, but it's still available in the round-front:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...VER+REAR+SIGHTS

http://www.millettsights.com/online/pages/p13.php

For the older guns, I guess we'll have to drill and countersink a hole in the sight.

Or find one of the older drilled Milletts at a gun show.

Hold the phone again. They might have dropped it in the flat-front version, but it's still available in the round-front:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...VER+REAR+SIGHTS

http://www.millettsights.com/online/pages/p13.php

For the older guns, I guess we'll have to drill and countersink a hole in the sight.

Or find one of the older drilled Milletts at a gun show.

Yes they still carry all the sizes in the round front/same hold down screw location.

I think I'll modify a new style and try it out for a bit, for an IPSC revo it should do fine,

a pin revo shooting 210-215 pf it might not hold up.

And I forgot to mention, the hole location in the new post 94 sights is clear of the old style

sight hole, so you could drill and tap the top strap for the new, bigger sight tang screw.

So anyway's, there's still options :)

I think I'll modify a new style and try it out for a bit, for an IPSC revo it should do fine,

a pin revo shooting 210-215 pf it might not hold up.

Not sure about some sort of modified mounting system, Dave, but I can tell you the actual Millett sight itself will hold up fine for pin loads. I put Milletts on all my bowling pin revolvers and shot them for years with thousands of 240 p.f. +/- pin loads (255 SWCs at 950 fps in my 25-2s, and 230-gr. "Lincoln Logs" at 1050 fps in my 27). I still own those guns, and all still have the same Millett rear sights mounted on them. In fact, Sam shoots my original 25-2 (the one I bought well-used at Riley's in Hooksett, NH back in '87) as his main IPSC gun. A little dab of blue loc-tite on the mounting screw is all it's ever needed.

A little dab of blue loc-tite on the mounting screw is all it's ever needed.

I'll have to try that.....I have some of that blue loc-tite left over after setting my

main spring tension with the strain screw :lol::P:lol:

You guys love to drive me insane..... :wacko::wacko::wacko:

;)