Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Svi Tri - Lock Bushing

nipplehead

Anyone have any expierance with the TRU-LOCK bushing? I really dont get how it works as far as fitting the OD of the barrel since it only comes in one size. I guess there is an 11 degree angle built in so does it end up locking up like a SIG or a Glock? and if so would iy change your point of aim?

It's difficult to explain but the bushing has specific spots that contact the barrel during lock-up. When the barrel unlocks and drops the buishing fits loose and allows the slide to cycle freely. As the barrel rises, during lock-up, it contacts the top area and locks-up tight. I have one on my single stack and it works great.

It's difficult to explain but the bushing has specific spots that contact the barrel during lock-up. When the barrel unlocks and drops the buishing fits loose and allows the slide to cycle freely. As the barrel rises, during lock-up, it contacts the top area and locks-up tight. I have one on my single stack and it works great.

I kind of understand that BUT how can one size fit all? My .40 cal barrel has an OD of .575 the ID of the SVI TRI LOCK bushing is.585 so how can it get a tight fit? It seems to me it is simulair to EGW's angle-bore bushing except the EGW comes in differant sizes so one can achieve the within 1 one thousanths that people normal fit bushings too. EVen SVI wont answer my question about this but in their add claims "Top Gunsmiths are using it"..

Apparently none of them are on this forum!!!! B)

L9X25 : Whats the OD of your single stacks Barrel???...

Edited by nipplehead

The SV trilock busing is dsigned to work with a straight (no bushing relief) 0.581" OD barrel. With a smaller diameter barrel you will not have correct lock-up at the bushing end of the barrel.

Edited by Yendor

I kind of understand that BUT how can one size fit all? My .40 cal barrel has an OD of .575 the ID of the SVI TRI LOCK bushing is.585 so how can it get a tight fit? It seems to me it is simulair to EGW's angle-bore bushing except the EGW comes in differant sizes so one can achieve the within 1 one thousanths that people normal fit bushings too. EVen SVI wont answer my question about this but in their add claims "Top Gunsmiths are using it"..

Apparently none of them are on this forum!!!! B)

L9X25 : Whats the OD of your single stacks Barrel???...

My barrels are .581-.582 in diameter and lock up tight. As Yendor mentioned, they are straight wall barrels and are NOT tapered. The secret is not in the inner diameter of the bushing, it is in the 3 lock-up pads that touch the barrel.

The Colts used spring loaded bushings (collet bushings?) and they had a tendancy of breaking. In my area it was always recommended that you replaced those with a conventional "solid" bushing for durability. The SVI bushing is solid and does not flex. It uses the "camming" action of the barrel to be tight at lock-up while being loose when the barrel is out of battery.

B)-->

QUOTE(Paul B @ Oct 20 2006, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excuse me if I'm wrong about this, but isn't this the same way Colt Gold Cup pistols lock up the barrel tight? My bushing has 3 prongs at the rear that touch the barrel and hold it tight.

Thanks, I did not look at it just remember what it looks like - I'm pretty sure it's intact. Just thought the idea was probably not original.

By the way I got excellent accuracy out of the Colt design and ran one heck of a lot of full power ipsc loads (175 power factor and higher) through it and never had a problem with the prongs breaking off.