Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hand Pain!

Nemo

The Thursday before the Florida Section Match I loaded 700 rounds of 40 for the boys in the 650 and 300 of 45 on the 550. On Friday we took off to the match, shot on Saturday and Sunday. On the drive back my right hand didn't feel 100%, a constant ache in the lower carpal area and my wrist. Last week that bothersome ache turned into debilitating pain. I couldn't even hold my coffee cup.

It's been more than a week and it still bothers me, although not as bad as the first 3 days right after the match.

If this is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, I promise I won't make fun of my secretary ever again. This sh1t hurts! :(

I guess revolver recoil doesn't help either... Anyway, where's my Aleve? Gotta load the ammo for Saturday's match.

Hermano,

This is the angle I am going to use to convince Elizabeth to let me get one of those bullet feeders. "Damned, you know, now that I am loading ammo for two, my hand is really starting to hurt. I REALLY need a bullet feeder to keep my hand from hurting. I don't want to end up with carpal tunnel syndrome and have to have surgery." I think its a good idea. Maybe it can work for you, too?

Jack

The Thursday before the Florida Section Match I loaded 700 rounds of 40 for the boys in the 650 and 300 of 45 on the 550. On Friday we took off to the match, shot on Saturday and Sunday. On the drive back my right hand didn't feel 100%, a constant ache in the lower carpal area and my wrist. Last week that bothersome ache turned into debilitating pain. I couldn't even hold my coffee cup.

It's been more than a week and it still bothers me, although not as bad as the first 3 days right after the match.

If this is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, I promise I won't make fun of my secretary ever again. This sh1t hurts! :(

I guess revolver recoil doesn't help either... Anyway, where's my Aleve? Gotta load the ammo for Saturday's match.

Jack,

Just remember to be prepared for the unexpected reply that we talked about. I tried that line when I got home, only about the bad shoulder and elbow, her reply was to stop shooting for a while if it hurt that bad :( Not what I was hoping for.

Yeah, but see its the reloading that is hurting me, not the shooting. ;) So, my "ace" is that if I can't reload, my son can't shoot. <_< So, I'll get him in on the plan, too. Of course, I might have to end up getting some jewelry or something, but that might be a good trade. :D

Jack,

Just remember to be prepared for the unexpected reply that we talked about. I tried that line when I got home, only about the bad shoulder and elbow, her reply was to stop shooting for a while if it hurt that bad :( Not what I was hoping for.

psst... Jack...

With this thread I'm creating the paper trail for the bullet feeder justification. Just sympathize with my pain.

;)

I saw your post about the bullet feed you saw recently. I believe it is the K.I.S.S. feeder?

How much was it?

Roger that ;) . I have a physical this morning so I am going to see if I can get a note from my doctor :D saying that my health depends on me getting the bullet feeder. Of course, now I got a friend trying to sell me an Open gun. Just what I needed.

psst... Jack...

With this thread I'm creating the paper trail for the bullet feeder justification. Just sympathize with my pain.

;)

hey Nemo,

sorry to hear about your hand. i hope you give it a good rest and you'll be back blasting in no time. i've been taking a lay off (injury related) and it has been more beneficial to me than i could ever imagine. it's a beautiful thing when destiny finds you! with every adversity an equal and postive benefit is provided. but boy, do i miss those characters at the range. it's a cruel thing when something that brings so much joy and satisfaction is taken away so abruptly. my ankle is almost all better now. :wub:

jj

Edited by jessej

I've talked to a lot of people who believe the roller handle causes pain like this and refuse to use it because it begs you to use a "wristy" technique. I have to keep my wrist stiff and really had to experiment with the height of the press or me (adjustable stool) to stop the pain.

Using case lube made the biggest difference. I've just now been able to get rid of the wrist and elbow braces when I load.

With the wrong technique, a bullet feeder just means you screw up both wrists. At least that is accurate in my case.

The billert feeder is the KISS and it is about $499.99. It's something I'd like to have but, like JMD said, with it I believe I'd only hurt my nand quicker.

I need to reevaluate the height of my bench and never again load 900 rounds the day before the match.