Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Me Decide. Sti Or Springy?

unclez

I'm having a hard time deciding and thought I would ask the advice of the fellow B.E.'ers. Heres the deal. I want a 1911 in a 9mm and had basically decided i wanted the STI Trojan. Now the problem is nobody has them in stock and STI lists a 16+ week production time. I have fallen back to my second gun in line which was the Springfield Loaded. Is there really that much of a quality difference to justify waiting the 16+ weeks or should I drive on down to my local retailer and pick up the Springy today?

My Trojan 9mm with 9 round Metalform mags worked 100% from the factory. Now, I hear the .40s need work, lots of it.

For what its worth, the SA 9mm 1911s are nice enough, but accuracy reports are varied.... my Trojan would tear one ragged hole in 25 yd slow fire off a rest, but the SA would make softball sized groups. YRMV.

I had emailed every one of the STI stocking dealers last week and nobody had one in stock. But just got off the phone with Kathy at Dawson's and she verified that they DID have one of the Trojan 9mm 5" pistols in stock. So now needless to say I am now $966.60 (shipped) poorer. :wacko:

I've heard good and bad reports of the Trojan 9mm. Got my fingers crossed that I get a good one. Should have it by the end of the week. Will update when I get to run it a little. Any suggestions on mags, etc...?

IMHO, the ONLY mag to run is a "Springfield" Metalform 9rd 9mm mag with the "front spacer"......... do not try to use 38 Super mags with factory 9mm OAL bullets, you will not be happy.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...S+for+1911+AUTO

BTW, I would have bought this one, $850 including mags off of our very own forum:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40167

Edited by sfinney

Update: Ordered the pistol Monday and picked it up from my FFL Tuesday (next day). Can't say enough about Dawson's, great people to deal with.

I had them switch the front sight post to a Dawson .100 fiber optic. Everything looks great. Finish and fit is great. Very smooth. First thing I did when I got it home was strip it and clean/lube everything. Came with a 9mm Mec-Gar mag. Just ordered a S&A magwell and 4 of the 9mm Metalform (Springy) mags with bumpers as described above in a previous post.

Now I've got to make some time to get out run it a little B)