Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Limited W/single Stack

Gonzogun

I have been shooting USPSA for 2years and L-10 the whole time.

I am now B class.

I thought today that I would try Limited with my single stack 1911, to see how competitive I could be. Although I didn't feel like I shot my best, the results were gratifying.

Just wondering if anyone out there shoots Limited with a single stack.

If so,

why?

and how well do you do?

I have been doing so at the indoor matches we hold during the winter up here in the northeast. I don't own a true limited gun so I have been using my L-10 just to get classified. Depending upon who shows up I am pretty competitive as most of the stages are fairly easy on a production shooter.

Adam

I shoot my 1911 9mm in L-10. It's kinda like beating your head against a brick wall. It feels really good when you stop..........

Once Single Stack becomes a real division, I am going to try and see if 9mm and the extra rounds make it worth the pain and agony of shooting minor but my heart already knows that a .40 SS 1911 is in my near future. I just need the wife to ok it, lol

It is a very nice feeling beating others though........I don't see why a .40 SS with 10 rnd mags wouldn't be the bees knees in L-10. The trick is the mags though :(

I decided to shoot my SS in limited to get classified, I'm currently B in L-10. My only two HOA's came from that. I went into the matches not worrying about the win and shot very well just shooting the best match I could. I usually place in the top 5 overall since our clubs aren't very big, around 30 shooters a match and the highest classification we see on a regular basis is A. I ended up with a C classification in Limited.

Many people shot a Single Stack in Limited in the not too distant past. I started out with a 70 Seies Colt in .45 shooting in Limited when it was still a category. From a classificaton point of view, there is virtually no reason that you can't make GM on classifiers with a Single Stack. Shoot 6 really good ones that don't require reloads and you can be there. Practice more than a little and you could still make it to GM with a Single Stack.

Where you may fall down is shooting a full match with a SS against a Wide-body. They can reload less and do so probably faster. But you can still do it.

The divisional line-up with Open, Limited, Limited-10, Production and Revolver is really all that is needed. Adding in SS is OK by me. Personally I could shoot a slightly moidified SS in L-10 and be happy, but I have a perfectly good widebody and live in a state that frowns upon standard capacity magazines. I shoot L-10 mostly here and switch to Limited in other venues. Same equipment, different mags.

Do I have an issue with SS being a division? No. I do have an issue if L-10 is taken away in favor of SS. We have plenty of room for both. We do need to re-visit SS and open it up to all Single Stacks that otherwise meet the criteria. full length dust covers, light rails, drop & offset holsters etc. Even any plastic SS that are out there. It should not be a GI 1911 only division.

Sorry for the slight drift here.

Jim Norman

A SS was my Limited gun for many years, (Pre- Para & STI) It is still my favorite gun to shoot. Depending on the stages I can be cmpetitive. (enough so I keep coming back)

Why - nostalgia and just to see if I can keep up. - Practice reloads under match conditions, Forces me to make each shot count, and setups and movement becomes more important -Also I figure if I can reload a SS at local matches that a STI would be cake at bigger matches.

SS in Limited does make it tougher, I find that stages with movemet helps but you will be behind the curve when comparing yourself to similarly classified shooters. (AT least I am -Currently A Lim)

I am no real threat to HOA but I might take a stage at a local match.

For L10 I like to shoot SS only, anything else feels like cheating..... just this year I made Master in L10 with SS. (Blind Squirrel)

SS shoot it enjoy it

I also shot Limited with my Kimber SS L-10 gun just to get classified while trying to decide between a Para and a Glock for Limited.

The classification was nothing, shot nearly the same percentage as I did in L-10. As far as being competitive, it all depended on the stage design. The very first stage I shot in Limited with my SS involved 17 rounds from the starting box :( I got trashed on that one. That was a one-time deal, so it wasn't too bad after that.

The main difference to me when shooting Limited with a SS is that it's still all about reloading when you aren't shooting. When using my Para with 22 rounds, I get to think about shooting more than reloading. That alone means I'll beat my SS scores even if the stages are perfect for 11 + 1. Not a huge difference, but a difference.

A lot of people shot Limited with 10 round mags back when Open and Limited were the only two divisions. The only disadvantages I see is if you miss a few shots and wind up with a static reload and also every time you move, you are doing a reload. As long as there's some movement, you really don't lose much time, if any, doing the extra reloads.

We do need to re-visit SS and open it up to all Single Stacks that otherwise meet the criteria. full length dust covers, light rails, drop & offset holsters etc. Even any plastic SS that are out there. It should not be a GI 1911 only division

Jim Norman

At last someone who agrees with me.SS would be a perfect home for a Sig 220

Edited by et45