Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strong Mounts...

I have 2 650s. The one I picked up last week has a strong mount but it is a bit shorter than the strong mount that I bought from Dillon a year ago. Are there different heights of strong mounts for the 650? I am mounting both on the same table and I need to use the same type of mount to mount both presses the same distance from the front of the table.

Thanks!

Mark

I have 2 650s. The one I picked up last week has a strong mount but it is a bit shorter than the strong mount that I bought from Dillon a year ago. Are there different heights of strong mounts for the 650? I am mounting both on the same table and I need to use the same type of mount to mount both presses the same distance from the front of the table.

Thanks!

Mark

There is a strong mount for both the 65/550 and one for the 650 only which is shorter.

Yes, there is now a 650 only strong mount. It is about 2" shorter than the 550/650 version that you appear to have.

Can you just put a couple of inches plywood under the 650 version to raise it a bit or is the issue how far back from the bench front edge the press sits?

Indeed the issue is a symmetry thing. I want both strong mounts 2.5 inches from the front of the table which allows the roller handles to clear the edge of the table by about 1/2 inch. I could raise the short mount with wood or something but that would bug me. I may order a 650/550 mount and see if the 650 only unit will work with my 1050.

Thanks!

Mark

Yes, there is now a 650 only strong mount. It is about 2" shorter than the 550/650 version that you appear to have.

Can you just put a couple of inches plywood under the 650 version to raise it a bit or is the issue how far back from the bench front edge the press sits?

Do you find that having the strong mounts helps with the shaking that 650s normally have? You know the shake that causes problems with the shell feeder. I thought about mounting a support from the feeder to the nearest wall but that is a few feet away and wouldn't really work. Thanks.

Adam

The strong mount does help a little with the shaking. The best solution I have found is to use a strong mount to mount the press and then I have a shelf on the bottom of the press table that I store all by lead on. There are about 250 pounds of bullets making sure that the table is still. I may end up using some steel 4x4 mounts bolted into the basement floor and then bolt the 4x4s that are the legs of may table to those but that would be extreme.