Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumbs Forward Grip On A Sig?

gunfighter

Is it possible to use the thumbs forward grip on a Sig?,,I tried it this past weekend in an idpa match, and it didnt work to well for me. I could feel my thumb riding on the slide release and the other thumb didnt feel like it was in a good position either as i could feel a burning from the hot slide.

I have the same issue. What I do is place my thumb out to the left slightly (rear thumb pad rests on the side of the forward thumb joint instead of on top of it). With a normal high thumb grip, it is easy to hold the slide release down on a sig.

I shoot my Sigs that way. I ride my right thumb out and on top of my left thumb. It gets it away from the slide release.

Also, be careful where you put your left thumb. Do not let it tighten down on the takedown lever. That could be bad. :P

chris

Place your right thumb over to the left a little and have someone "not Terrell" draw a sharpie line across the middle of your strong side thumb onto your support hand where it meets. Then dry fire your draw and look at your hand/line after every draw. Adjust as nessessary. That will become second nature just like everything else and after awhile you will actually get your slide to lock back when it is supposed to.

When shooting my SIG's I use the same thumbs forward grip as I use when shooting a Glock or a 1911. My thumb does rest on the slide lock and seeing that I use the slide lock lever as just that it is an administrative tool for me. I got a license for a dremmel tool and cut them all off really short with just enough latch fo rme to to intentionally lock the slide to the rear if i need to. Use a little Birchwood Casey Buleing Pen on the end of the cut and problem solved.